Best cover-scent for coyotes?

PrimosPartner

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best cover-scent while coyote hunting. It's a toss-up between skunk scent and coyote urine. I'd either have the skunk scent on a little cotton hanger or get maybe one of those 32oz bottle of the pure coyote urine with the spray nozzle and spray it around my blind or where I have a decoy set out if i use one at the time. Maybe even rabbit scents. I've found great prices on all these cover-scents, but I'm just wanting to get some fellow advice on which would work best in your guys' personl opinions or experience. Thanks fellas!

My opinion on cover scent is it is a waste of money. I don't know of any cover scent made that will cover up the smell of a freshly cleaned gun or burnt gun powder. Using the wind to your advantage is the only way you are going to fool a coyotes nose and that will still only work half the time.

great info. i wouldn't have known better. havent messed around with any scents before. I was thinking maybe the pure urine would work more as an attractant than a cover scent.

Like they said play the WIND! That sent cover is a good waste of your MONEY! That go's for all of THEM! It's BULL$

Like they said play the WIND! That sent cover is a good waste of your MONEY! That go's for all of THEM! It's BULL$

I use coyote blood thats all my camo smells like anymore anyways. Works well. I fiure that along with scent killed face mask gloves and boots it does pretty well for me, That said I've called tons of coyote with a nice big moat of dip-spit at the bottom of my ladder and we all know how strong that smell is.

everybody's got different opinions about cover scent. lot's of guys on here dont believe in it. i'll try anything that might improve my chances. this year i'm trying a technique i read about in predator extreme magazine a couple of years ago. it involves misting the stand area with multiple scents in an attempt to saturate the coyotes sense of smell. the theory is the coyote gets hit with so many scents at the same time that it makes it difficult for him to process it all. sensory overload if you will. the jury is still out on this for me. i'll keep the forum updated on my experience. so far i've called in several does using a fawn call and had them close downwind of me without spooking. couple of weeks ago i shot a male coyote that popped out of the brush at 10yds. he came in from downwind and seemed very suprised to find me. i'm using fox urine, bobcat urine, and rabbit urine in seperate 1 oz spray bottles. thinking about adding doe urine for a fourth scent. the scent may give the coyote a little extra confidence, maybe the rabbit urine is an attractant. only the coyote knows. if it helps improve my chances, i'm all for it. i don't think you can eliminate or cover up human scent from the coyote though. just maybe buy yourself a few extra seconds while he's trying to process it all. that's my input. good luck.

A can of Nally's Walla Walla onion chili about 8 hours before the first stand.
If they smell ya, they'll figure you've been dead a while and come in for the fresh corpse.
I also put a sardine in each sock (in case I forget my lunch).
That helps keep me on my toes.

I should charge for this kind of advice, seriously.
grin.gif

Back