What is this Coyote's Diet

TNsenior

In the Fall for the last few years I have been examining coyote droppings as to what their diet might be. Most always I see these brown beans in the scat along with hair as well as the scat being colored black, which could be digested blood. I have seen trees with bean pods several inches long occasionally, but never where I hunt coyotes. This coyote had pieces of plastic in the scat which reminded me of a swing pool liner. What would be the name of the tree, or bush that might produce this bean. Has this been seen in other states beside Tennessee?

Coyote Scat:
DSCN4343.jpg

OH, so that is what they are. I'll have to get one of the neighbors to find me a tree so I can see what the leaves look like before they all fall off.

Glenn, congratulations on Talon shooting his first Bobcat. I expect he had a good teacher in handling his rifle.

I have seen persimmon seed in coyote scat here in Kentucky. It just proves that they are an equal oppurtunity eater. One summer, something was eating my sweet corn. I figured it was either a coon or a groundhog, then one morning, after a nice rain, I found coyote tracks in the garden, along with freshly eaten corn. That sure gave me an education about them, and their diet.

from what i saw friday here in AZ, they were eating a crap ton of mesquite pods. You can make flour out of them so i suppose they are good for a critter to eat.

TNsenior,
I wouldn't be too sure they are persimmon seeds. I really think they are Paw Paw seeds. I have eaten a lot of Paw Paws in my time and not being able to tell the exact size in the pic, I sill would bet they are Paw Paw seeds. Paw Paws taste kinda like a banana if you've never eaten one. Just my guess. Persimmon seeds look similar but I don't know the size of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: peterjcTNsenior,
I wouldn't be too sure they are persimmon seeds. I really think they are Paw Paw seeds. I have eaten a lot of Paw Paws in my time and not being able to tell the exact size in the pic, I sill would bet they are Paw Paw seeds. Paw Paws taste kinda like a banana if you've never eaten one. Just my guess. Persimmon seeds look similar but I don't know the size of them.

I agree...Looks like Paw Paw seeds to me, but could be Persimmons though...

Paw Paws are good eatin....
wink.gif

Another vote for persimmon seeds. You see them in a lot of wild animal scat this time of year--coyotes, possums, coons, skunks too. I was over on my place this morning and something is pretty much eating all the persimmons that are falling. A lot are still on the trees too. No coyotes this am but saw a fat doe and nice spike. Youth hunt is next weekend and my youngins are ready. The 9 yo will be using an AR with 64g pp bullets. He got his first last year-one shot bang flop at 40-45 yards. TnTnTn

Originally Posted By: LBLDOGThat's not persimon seeds , that's a honey locust tree pods and coyotes eat these too.
honey locust seeds are tiny. I'll try and get a picture of persimmon seeds and locust seeds together, in the next day or two.

One of the easiest ways to tell if its a persimon seed or not is to cut them in half at the seam long ways. You will most likely see a white shape inside resembling a knife, fork, or spoon. Just something my grandpa showed me a long time ago about how old timers predict weather. Josh

Back