.44 mag rifle barrel length

TwoShot

I am considering the purchase of a custom barrel for a TC Encore in .44 mag. what would the point of diminishing return be for barrel length vs. velocity. I can only guess at a load, 240 grain hollowpoint at max powder charge. The 1894 Marlin has a 20" barrel, Ruger 77/44 has 18.5. Since the Encore is a break action I don't see a longer barrel making the gun too awkward, if the is a ballistic advantage. What do you think?

You aren't going to find many 44 rifles with much more than a 20" barrel. Remember - this cartridge was designed as a handgun cartridge. I would think 20" would be maximum and would go down to 16" for a minimum legal length.

I have a Marlin 1894p it has been discontinued in production. The rifle is a 44mag/44sp with a 16.25" ported barrel. I shoot 44 mag pistols with full house loads and this rifle at the bench to sight in will hurt you. I bought it as a back up hog hunting gun. I now think of it as a great home defence gun, its not any fun to sight in. A true street sweeper, and a great gun to take through Canada.
Jim

I wouild go with a 24"-or possibly a 26". I have talked to a few guys with the Marlin 1894 CB models with the longer barrel, and they are doing quite well with it.

There is no way to tell exactly how much velocity you will attain with a longer barrel. Only that it suffices to say that you will get more velocity.

And since it is an Encore---a little longer barrel is not really a big deal because of the shorter action.

The longer barrel will allow you to shoot a slower powder. And that alone should give better velocity. I have noticed that 2400 does very well in long barreled pistol cartridge rifles. Just make sure you use a heavy crimp.

An extra 100 fps is a lot when you are talking about a large bullet traveling 1800 or 1900 fps. And an extra 6 inches of barrel could easily give 100fps or more in velocity gain. Tom.

According to my Quickload software (seems to be relatively accurate so far) If you go from a 16.5" barrel to a 20.5" barrel you will gain 66 fps and going from 20.5" to 24" barrel will net you a gain of 51 fps in .44 mag using Lil' Gun powder. When you factor in handiness of the shorter barrel I would stick with a 16.5" - 18.5" barrel, the .44 Mag is not exactly a flat shooter anyway so at it's intended ranges that gain isn't going to give you much.

Playing with powder selection is more important than a couple extra inches of barrel length in the .44 in my opinion. When I switched from 2400 to Lil' Gun I was able to net a 100 fps gain in velocity with no noticeable change in accuracy. Out of my carbine with a 16.5" barrel I am getting 1810 fps average velocity.

Back