Famous/well known houndsmen.

deerassassin

I am doing a speech on a famous or well known houndsmen. But i want your guys imput on which one. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Ben Lilly was one of the best. There is a great book that you should read,(whether for school, or not)
"The Ben Lilly Legend" Written by Frank Dobie
www.utexaspress.com
1-800-252-3206
There's all the contact info to find the book.
Glen Warner is also a great one to check out, He is still alive.(as far as I know)
Del Cameron is famous for his Blueticks,I think he is alive also,(His book "Call of the Hounds") Burnt Fork Publishing.(also a great read)
Van Johnson is still alive, you could maybe even talk to him, I don't know him personally, but all I've heard about him is good.
That should give you a start. I would like to see what you come up with when your paper is done.Have fun with it. Duane

Van Johnson
Dub Evans
Albert Pickens
Homer Pickens
Bruce Bull
Hap Blackston
Richard Holcomb
Terrell Shelly
Bill Kiehne
Sewell Goodwin
Shorty Lyons
Ray Freeman
Leonard Hudson
Buddy Johnson
Quintin Hulse
Roland Rice
Jim Bobb
Mike Root
Orville Fletcher
Riley Milligan
Duncan Freeman
Bill Miller
Hap Blackston
Cecil Ralston

Thanks guys. I will look into that book duane. Any other books that you guys know of? I am pressed for time as it is so i'll only have time to do one for now. I have many more speeches to do though. I'll get a jump start on them with all kinds of houndsmen and hounds. Lol my class even the city kids will know so much about hounds and hunting it won't even be funny.

John Wick has two really good books. If you research the names that guys have given you, you will find a world of info.Even if not for school, you should check out the older houndmen. You will find a world of info.

1. The Longwalkers by Jerry Lewis
2. The Lionhounds by Obe Cory
3. Slash Ranch Hounds by Dub Evans
4. Brave by Steve Mathes
5. Meet Mr. Grizzly by Montague Stevens
6. Life of the greatest guide by Robert McCurdy
7. The white pages by Walt Earl
8. When the dogs bark treed by Elliot Barker
9. Ben Lilly Legend by Frank Dobie
10. Roping lions in the Grand Canyon by Zane Grey

Read this page about Lloyd Beebe...

http://www.olygamefarm.com/about.html

Then e-mail them if you want a book he wrote about his life and how he started the game farm. (I think it'll deliver for less than 10 bucks, and it's autographed!)

He started as a Cougar bounty hunter when he was quite young, and made a living doing it (mostly on foot with 2 dogs, which is unbelievable knowing the country around here) for many years until it evolved into the Game Farm... where many MANY old time animal actors lived and were trained. All the old Disney wildlife films (which were not anti-hunter back then) were connected to the Farm to some degree.

The web page is careful to not talk about it, but the fact is Lloyd caught hundreds of Cougars! The book talks about it for several chapters. He's one of the best in my opinion.

Really cool stuff.

What????? No Dale or Clell Lee?

Don't forget George Washinton or General George Custer or Teddy Roosevelt. They were all houndsmen, with a little more than something to do with the history of the country too.

Slash Ranch Hounds, Walk With Wick, Life of the Greatest Guide: Hound Stories and Others of Dale Lee, all some of the best books I've EVER read.

Back