set triggers

Jim n Iowa

I am having a Rem 700 customized, as in heavy barrel, bedding, lapped lugs. I am looking for a set trigger, double or single, does any one have some input?
Jinn

yeah simple, sell the rem buy a cz. It comes with an awesome set trigger and you will be lucky if your rem keeps up with a cz out of the box. Probably be alot cheaper in the long run.

then if you really want to get crazy you can get a pac nor barrel and mod the cz but there isn't much to gain over the out of box performance no matter what you spend.

Last edited:
Wow this is news, the CZ out of the box will out shoot a Rem 700 customized. I have a Rem 700 vls in 6.5-284 built to shoot and does 1000 yds and hit the target in the black. Got a out of the box CZ or even a custom job equal to the job? I know nothing about a CZ but Wall Mart shoppers bore me. My post was in quest of set triggers, for a Rem 22-250 I am having built for 200 -400 yd PD shooting. I want the option for my 7 yro grandson to shoot at the range with a heavyer trigger.
Jim

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660yeah simple, sell the rem buy a cz. It comes with an awesome set trigger and you will be lucky if your rem keeps up with a cz out of the box. Probably be alot cheaper in the long run.

then if you really want to get crazy you can get a pac nor barrel and mod the cz but there isn't much to gain over the out of box performance no matter what you spend.

+1,one of the best out of the box IMHO

I feel the lock time of double set triggers eliminates them from my personal consideration. And, finding a single set trigger may be daunting. Canjar is about the only option I'm aware of, and finding one is difficult. Also, they are a PITA to install and stock removal after the installation is NOT easy. I have one Canjar one a 22-250. I haven't had the stock off the rifle since I installed the trigger...
frown.gif

There are so many great standard triggers available, I've been going that route.

Martyn, you're right on the Canjar being a pita. I really favor a Jewell. As far as the CZ comment, one guys definition of an accurate rifle can be far from anothers. I've had a dozen or so CZ's come through here that have all shot well, but I would never say that one of them outperformed my 700's

That must be why we so see SOOOO many competition guns based on CZ actions and next to none based on Rem 700 actions.
crazy.gif
LMAO.

Kepplinger makes single set triggers for the 700. I have only used their Ruger #1 SS triggers, and they are awesome. Much better than a CZ set trigger.............

2MG, I would like to see what these guys that praise the CZ set triggers think if they were actually put behind a good trigger. I will give CZ one thing, the set triggers are light, but every one I've seen was sloppy and inconsistant.
JiminIowa, sorry to hijack your post

Last edited:
Go to page 112 0f the Brownwlls catalog. They have the Kepplinger single set trigger for the Remington 700 $166.75.
I put one on a Ruger #1. It is an Excellent trigger. The CZ is OK until you try a Kepplinger. The directions for the #1 weren't to swift. I sat down, and figured out how everything worked then made my own directions. As for the CZ the hornet I had shot good after glass bedding, floating the barrel, and Grinding the bolt handle down to clear the scope without mounting it as high as see through mounts.
Frank

Frank, You may have an old catalog... I just pulled it up on the website and they have them listed for $269.99 and they won't work on Rem 700 with the ISS safety...and have to be installed by a gunsmith as they use the existing trigger housing, bolt release, etc..

Since it's a custom rifle, the gun smith factor may not be a problem..

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660yeah simple, sell the rem buy a cz.

Ya know,,,,,, I for one get tired of your predictable answer to every question asked, which is "Sell your brand-x POS and buy a CZ".. At first I wrote it off as NEWBIE enthusiasim, but nowdays it's just become rude and annoying..
The guy asked about "a set trigger for a 700",,,, not your uninvited opinion of his choice of firearm...

Oh,,, and FWIW,,, I have a CZ as well as several 700's. I like the CZ fine, but they come with their issues..

I have a CZ 527 in 204 Ruger with the set trigger. The trigger is OK(acceptable) at best. But by no means exceptional. An aftermarket trigger for a Remington 700 would be a better trigger than the standard set trigger on the CZ. No doubt. Tom.

I have a CZ 204 American with the set trigger and it is fantastic after a little bit of work and Pillars & bedding & Free Floating ...

And I just got thur putting a Timney in my Rem 700 243AI that I'm putting togeather and like always the Timneys seem to be the Best, I have five of them in my AR's and now one in the Remingtion....

I had a Canjar on my Sendero and pulled it off and sold it.

Every few shots the set trigger would feel like it wouldn't break till I had 8 pounds on the thing. Then the next shot it was fine. Sent it back to Canjar and they said it was good to go. Put it back on and same thing.

I massaged the factory trigger and it is consistent, if not the greatest trigger in the world.

Timney is great for the money. Jewell is top tier.

Based on what 2mg says about the Kepplinger trigger, that's what I'd go with.
Interesting point on this subject, I have a CZ 527 as well as the rifle with the Canjar trigger. I really don't like either trigger in the set mode, so I shoot them like a regular trigger, in the un-set mode.
I'm not against set triggers by any means, I just want one that is good..
I really think the Kepplinger would be excellent after reading about it.

Thanks for all your replys. At my age comp shooting is not a big issue. I have 3 GS to leave my leagcy and shooters too. I want to leave quality shooters, not bargin basement rifles. My quest was for a set trigger for a Rem 700 22-250 I am having built. This is no longer a option, and I thank you for your input. We will build it on std trigger as crisp as possible and as light as possible.
Jim

Good luck with your build.
I'll just add that IMO a Jewell trigger is awfull hard to beat at any price point.

Charlie

Back