Will it work?

andrew

Instead of buying an expensive electronic caller, couldnt I just buy a rabbit distress tape and use it in a regular tape player?

I've heard of people doing this and having it work.
I...personally have never tried it.
Someone posted about this a while back and they we're told to use this method to choose thier favorite sounds. I would try and use a good quality tape if this was the method I chose.
Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that unless that boombox is setting right next to you, you won't have any control over it.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Andrew, years ago we used to use a small boom box. Worked real well. Actually had better sound than my JS-512. Get a set of rechargeable batteries. River Runner is right, you won't have control over it so run the vol real low. The sound travels much farther than one thinks.

Have fun, Curt

I have called many coyotes with a cheap radio shack tape recorder. If you buy one with a jack for external speaker and buy a PA speaker to plug in to it, the sound will be very good.

heck yeah you can !

If you dont want the ghetto-box right next to you, you can re-record the tapes so you have a few minutes of silence during the beginning of the tape. You can also put blank spots or "breaks" in the middle should you desire to do so. I like to make copies of my tapes so that in case something happens Ive got "the master" to make a new one again...

Before you go out, figure what volume level you want the box set at, and mark or remember it.

When you get to the stand, set the box out with the volume where you want it, press "play", then go get ready. And when the sounds start youre ready for action !

The only draw back is the weight of alot of the boom boxes that take 8 c or d cell batteries

I used a 25$ sony boom box for the first year or so until it finally fell out of the truck and broke. Then I built a custom rig.

Go for it ! Its a good cheap way to start out...

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

I remember seeing a site somewhere,where a guy took a Sony boom-box and installed a servo,like the ones for remote control airplanes, on the volume knob.Used an airplane remote to control it. I'll see if I can find that site for you.

Later,
Justin

First coyote I ever called in came to a rabbit tape in a tiny Radio Shack hand held cassete player. It was originally made for use as a dictaphone, something to "talk" notes into so the mighty one-and-a-half-inch speaker had absolutely dismal sound qualities.

On top of that, my rabbit tape was old and hissed like an irritated cat. Then the cheap heads picked up a lot of cross-talk from the other side of the tape so in the silence between the loud screams you could hear a faint rabbit scream played backwards.

It was about the crappiest caller you could imagine, but when I got to the right spot at the right time I had it on for about two minutes when the first coyote showed up. On that one's heels were two more. I was so dumbfounded I darned near didn't get any of them, but the last one stopped for her final look back.

Now I have all sorts of calls and players. I keep buying them because it is something I can do when I can't get out to call. All that equipment probably doesn't change my odds as much as I'd like to think it would, but it keeps me from getting restless.
smile.gif

Come to think of it, my first hand called coyote came in to a metal voice in a two inch piece of plastic drinking straw. And that one may have been a double double. I only saw two, but my son, whose eyes are much better than mine, says there was a second pair that peeled off before they got close enough for me to see.

So yes, I think you could easily start out with a small tape player. I'd still be using mine if I hadn't dropped it and broken it in several pieces. Come to think of it, those things are cheap enough and small enough that I may get one to have around, just as a backup.

So give it a try. Early in the fall, especially, before the new pups get educated, I'd bet you would have plenty of luck.

Back