Savage Barrel Swap - Cost Question

shankbone

I would like to swap a barrel on a Savage rifle and create a 7.62x39 bolt action rifle. If I purchased all of the parts and tools myself, how much would the whole deal cost me? I already have the rifle, by the way.

Thanks in advance.

I am doing the same thing this winter but also getting the trigger worked and putting it all in a new stock, chambering for 260 rem. I am getting a 26" stainless bead blasted mcgowan barrel for 290$ from a guy over on savageshooters.com There is another vendor there that also sells shilen barrels for just over 300 I think, check them out. From what I seen a barrel nut wrench costs around 30$ or so and you will also need a barrel vise or an action wrench which will run around 50$. From what I have gathered the action wrench is the way to go. I don't have any 7.62 rounds in front of me now but I think the rim diameter is the same as the 308 family. I don't remember the exact dimensions off the top of my head. What round is your rifle currently chambered in? You might have to swap bolt heads if it doesnt match the 7.62x39.

The rifle is currently chambered in .308, but I also have an older .30-30 Savage barrel and action that I may look into swapping (I do not know if this is feasible).

Thanks for your reply, Buck.

I just measured a 7.62x39 round and the rim diameter was .440 compared to .467 for the 308 rounds I measured. So I don't know if the bolt head you currently have would work or not. What action is your older 30-30? is it a 340?

5 inch piece of 2 x 4. Drill 1 inch hole in the center. Cut it in two, right down the center. Barrel blocks. I use this in my vise to change my stevens 200 barrel, no problem. Save you $50.

I have a Savage barrel nut wrench from Sharp Shooters Supply as pictured on his website for sale for $31 shipped. I used it on about 5 barrel swaps, I only have one barreled action for sale left so I don't need it anymore.

I seem to remember a thread a few years ago when the Savage bbl. swapping came into vogue mentioning a certain size box-end wrench for use on the bbl. nut with needle bearing needles of a certain size inserted in the nut grooves and the grooves in the box end and thereby giving the traction to loosen the nut. I doubt I saved it as I don't have a Savage yet, but always thought it may work (apparently already has) but might be a pain to chase all the stuff together for it. FWIW. Hardwood blocks drilled and cut as mentioned above should work as a bbl. clamp with a good sized vise, and one made to fit the action may do it too - have to look at that too.

A couple of things.

1) Sharp Shooter Supply will provide you with the proper parts to fit the 7.62x39/6mm PPC case heads

2) Not sure whom you can order a properly chambered (finish reamed) barrel in this cartridge without getting a custom made (i.e. - not cheap)

3) Having done this swap a couple of time, I heartily recommend getting a go/NO GO gauge set, for comfort of mind. At least you'll know you did it right, plus you can always sell them later, if desired.

I'm not sure how much I've spent on my project, probably into the thousands now. I've yet to send more than 40 rounds down the barrel in any one chambering before getting "restless" and moving on - YMMV. I'd say $450 will get you in the ballpark......

Kaiser Norton

I would like to know how the 7.62x39 conversion works for you. Have you tried to get the ammo loaded into your magazine? That seems to be the big problem with some platforms, is getting them in a magazine.

Thanks for the replies. If the winter here is dull enough, I will have a project to work on. I don't know if I need to build a gun to fix a problem I don't really have, but I wouldn't mind the project.

Anybody have any cartridge recommendations for a .308 Savage barrel swap? I would head over to the Savage forum, but I belong to and check enough forums as it is.

Back