Which moderately priced 22lr?

falfan

My younger brother is looking for a 22lr for squirrel hunting. He doesn't have much to spend so the cz is out. His criteria for accuracy is 1/2" at 50yds, plus he's not keen on a heavy bench gun. So is there a 22 out there for less than 250 that has a good reputation for this kind of accuracy? He's not against a single shot either so let me know what you think.

he can go to wallyworld and buy one of their specials-the ruger 10/22 rifle, SS, 22" barrel, wood stock-for $228.00.
I have one that will print 10 rounds in a dime size group at 50 yds. Great guns.

Originally Posted By: kevlarsEverybody needs a 10/22! Don't you think?

kevlars

1/2" groups for a stock 10/22 at 50 yards are a VERY rare exception. Most shoot about 1.5 at 50 yards.

I say save up and get the CZ or sell the farm. jason steele can get ya one for probably 380 shipped but you have to check price and availablity with him. PM me for his email. Its totaly worth it!

Anyways if not going with a cz due to cost then savage is probably the next best bet. After that, marlin.

Best place to ask about this is rimfirecentral.com

There's a bunch of good choices already...
but don't forget the Savage Model 93, it's got the accutrigger.
I got one for $179 last summer. I'm very pleased with it.

Hey Triple! I'm not saying that they are the most accurate, but, I still say that everyone should have one. I also have a Savage Mark II, that I bought for my kids, and cut down the stock on. It has the Accutrigger, and is a blast to shoot. The kids sure like it!

kevlars

I have had a bunch of the Savage .22s with the Accutrigger. Even the low end ones shoot good. The Marlins are also accurate, but they normally need a trigger job. You can buy a good fixed 4X scope for what you save in ammo over the thirsty 10/22.
Frank

Not everyone needs a 10/22. I had one . After tinkering with it, bedding and float the barrel, trigger job, and ammo testing the best it would do without a new barrel was 1" groups @50. I sold that money hole off and bought a cz and i'm never looking back.

I fell victim to everyone on the net who said everyone needs a 10/22 lol. If I was to do another semi-auto it would be the TC r55 for sure. accuracy garuntee and that cool stash spot in the stock for a clip.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, you have given me plenty to think about. I'm with triple deuce on the 10/22, I have one but it's stock and is a 1 to 2 inch plinker. I have a 452 american and absolutely love it, but the price keeps going up on them. For the guys who mentioned marlin and savage, is there a specific model that you have shot and found accuracy to be acceptable? It seems there are so many models to choose from that it's a little overwhelming. I guess I will ask over at rimfire and see what kind of recommendations I get there. Thanks guys, I love to hear what you think.

It has been my experience that even the low end savage is a tack driver with the ammo it likes. I only use bulk, and hunting HP. What a rifle will do with expensive match ammo is of no interest to me. The extractor on one single shot gave me a little trouble if I used dirty ammo without cleaning the barrel from time to time. Check for your master eye. The Savage also comes Left Hand, and youth models. I used these guns with 4X scopes in Hunter Ed classes
Frank

Wow. I love our 10/22's in fact Our oldest one is coming on 20 years old and had thousands apon thousands of rounds through it and I would still go up against anyone with it. It won't shoot with my comp gun but its not suppose to be a comp gun. My only problem with it now is the springs are getting tired. But after 20 years and more rounds then I can carry its expected.

Y does he want a gun that shoots 1/2" for squirrel hunting?
I would look at a Remington bolt action,but that is cause I already have My 10/22.

You could pickup a used 10/22 with a custom barrel for that price range.

jeepdude, what are you talking about? we shoot them in the head, if it can't hold a 1/2" from a bench you might as well be throwing rocks.

In my opinion the marlin model 60 is the best for the price your wanting to spend. Basically every guy in my family has one or two with no problems what so ever. I have one, my cousin, my dad, my uncle and my grandpa has two. All have always functioned properly and are plenty accurate. My dad also has two 10/22 and my cousin had one and they are fairly accurate but cant touch the model 60.

Ruger 10-22's are for guys who like to tinker with rifles to get them to shoot accurately, guys like me..
grin.gif
But, that tinkering to get them to shoot well costs MONEY, in some cases a lot of it.
I'd look at Savage and Marlin for a 22 that is inexpensive.

Here is what I always hated about the Marlins. The dang action was so small if you ever jammed a case or something you had no room to get the dang thing out.

Back