Great trip out to New Mexico with Predator University

Aaron Glenn

I just got back last week from filiming a three day hunt out in New Mexico with Tony Tebbe ,(Predator University) for my show. I figured that I'd call Tony up and see if he wanted to show me around New Mexico.

I ended up getting there on Thursday night pretty late and we started hunting first thing in the morning on Friday.
After a quick breakfast we headed out into the field and First stand called in a single, and it was non-stop from there on out that day. The first 7 stands we called in coyotes, We had a few misses and mishaps before we got one down. We called in multipe double and a few triples. We called pretty much from 7:00am until dark and then we grabbed a bite to eat and then hunting again from about 10:30 until around 4:45am, so it was a long day but we ended up calling in 21 coyotes the that day, but only got 7 down but we couldn't find two of them in the dark. The second day was high winds and hot. It was pretty slow that day but we did see about 8 or 9 coyotes just walking around mousing but they didn't want to play with us. We didn't get any called in that day. We called it quits pretty early and got a good nights rest. We checked the weather and it said that the wind was going to die down around 3:00am so we planned on hitting it at 3. Well, the wind died down alright but the rain moved in instead. So we didn't get out hunting until around 8 or so. We called about 4 stands before I had to take off and we called in two coyotes and took both of them. It was a great hunt out there with Tony and It was definately a great place to go and hunt coyotes. But If I was going to plan a hunt out there I would do a three day hunt so that you can work around the weather. That's what we had to do on my hunt. I am editing the show right now and should have it done in a couple more days. I'll post it on my website a couple of days after it airs on tv.

Thanks Tony for a great trip.

Here is a pic of our coyotes on the last day.

meandtony10-09-09.jpg

I forgot to mention that he had his dog Gunner out there with us too. That is a sharp little dog. He was anxious to get out there hunting and he definately knows the game. Tony you did a good job on training him.

thanx for sharing...who needs shut-eye when they're out and about...besides you're a couple young guys in your prime...

tony certainly selected a good spot to settle into...plus the lovington high WILDCATS aren't giving any mercy on the smurf turf...

good job to both of ya!

Aaron...It was a real pleasure hunting with you again. We always have a good time and good luck calling together. It was fun trading off stands with calling/shooting and filming. It was kind of nice sitting and watching someone else do some fine hand calling, while watching the action through a viewfinder. I hope my hand was steady on the camera, as you called up some great doubles.

We had some pretty exciting action on a few stands. The most memorable was the 4 coyotes that made 3 complete circles around us, before finally stopping...and I fubbed up the shot and couldn't recover the coyote.
frown.gif
Or the one that we got good footage of jumping and barking at you...then it was your chance to fub up the shot.
smile.gif

Working around the weather is a common thing here...especially the wind. I've got hunters in right now and we started off their first stand with calling in 5 and killing 2 of them. Gunner did some amazing decoy work on them. Spending my lunch hour skinning 5 coyotes. Storm moving in this afternoon. Could be bad...could be good. We'll find out.

Last week, we had 7 coyotes come in on one stand. We dropped one with the shotgun, Gunner took off after another and was gone through the woods on the coyote's tail for 5 mins or so. He came hightailing it back with 4 coyotes right on his butt. He plopped down next to the shotgunner and the coyotes stopped 5 yards from him. It was some wild, wild, west shooting from there...killing another.
smile.gif

Come on back anytime you like. Let me know when the show airs.

P.S. I never got a chance to publically congratulate you on co-hosting a TV show. You're living alot of sportsman's dreams right there! Way to go!

Thanks...Tony

Do you only call around the Lovington area? Also, I've wondered about night hunting in NM. I have never been able to get a clear answer. Is it only legal to night hunt private property here in the Land of Enchantment?

Sounds like you guys had a great time, and maybe could have used an extra shooter. I hope I can get good enough to call in packs some day.

I hope nobody thinks it is that easy for everyone in New Mexico. Tony Tebbe seems to be a real pro and in a league of his own. I know we have some great hunters in this state and some maybe have success like Tony, but I'm sure they are few and far and between. I feel like I learn something new every time I go out, but I bet if I booked a hunt with Tony it would really speed up the learning process.

Hey jeep guy I went to the game and fish here in Albuquerque and asked a bunch of questions about night hunting and what I got out of it was that, you can only night hunt private land and you have to have written permission from the land owner. My head was kind of spinning after getting out of there though because it was a little hard to get straight answers.

Yeah that is what I kinda had understood, but I know what you mean about getting straight answer about that. It's like they hate to admit that night hunting is legal.

Thanks 12ring

Quote:what I got out of it was that, you can only night hunt private land and you have to have written permission from the land owner.

True. Need to be on private deeded land and written permission from the ranch owner, claiming you as an agent. I spent about 6 hours on the phone getting the details all straightened out with the local game warden and the head offices, last year.

Tony

They actually passed a new law that allows the "Permitee", or the rancher on BLM lands to hunt at night with artificial light now as well.

Not many ranchers will go out with you at night though. He has to be there.

If nothing else, it's a step in the right direction for night hunting.

Looks like ya'll had a great time hunting Aaron and Tony.

Barry

Aaron, I've had your "Red River Bandit" distress call for a couple of years now and will state that NOBODY makes a better sounding call. LOUD and RASPY, it easily makes several different sounds and never, let me repeat that NEVER locks ups. It's called in quite a few Wyoming critters.

Didn't know you had a TV show, I'll have to check that out on your website

Dang Tony....21 coyotes called in and only 5 dead ones. If that would happen to me, I would be looking for a fifth of Jack Daniels and a butcher knife.

Randy

Thanks WyoYote, I'm glad that you are having such good luck with the call. It's called in quite a few texas coyotes as well. lol.

And R.Shaw, We definately would have killed more but when your filming you try to get them as close as you can and sometimes you get em too close and they bugger out. If we hadn't been filming we would have been shooting them a lot farther out. hehe.

But yeah the percentage don't look good for regular hunting but it's about right for camera hunting.

and Tony,
I was telling some of the guys about that dang coyote that kept on circling us. That was just crazy. I wish the camera would have picked up more of that at night.

Aaron, what calls did you and TT use on this hunt?

And R. Shaw...what does "looking for a fifth of Jack Daniels and a butcher knife" mean??

Aaron and I traded off on stands, one would call and shoot, while the other filmed. I used my Extreme and Overdose calls and Aaron used his Red River Bandit, Yeller Feller, his maroon call (forgot the name), and 2 or 3 of his new closed reed calls. All were called on the calls we produced.

Aaron hit the head on the nail on calling for filming is way different than calling for the gun. We got some great kills on video, and some even better misses.
smile.gif

I'm confused about the wiskey/knife comment, as well. Never heard that saying.

Tony

Back