Dispatching Coyotes

archer1953

With coyote population on the rise in my neck of the woods I have had too many night time visitors and have decided to set a few traps. What is the prefered method to dispatch coyotes. I hate to ruin a skull with a 22 hole when my beetles enjoy cleaning them as much as they do. Thanks in advance.

I just reread this and realized you 'dont' want to shoot them in the head.

I know some trappers who bonk them on the head with a bat and then stand on their chest to suffocate them - they cant breathe with your weight on their chest. That is a humane bloodless dispatch.

.22lr or 17HMR between the eyes.It dont matter if you hit it in the head with a bat or shoot it,its still gonna be messy when your skinnin it.There might not be a .22 caliber hole in the head if you hit it in head with somethin but its gonna do alot of damage to the inside and you're gonna find a bloody mess anyway.About the hole,if you go with the .22 option there will be a hole in the skull and the pelt.But the pelt wont be worth any less than it would be if you woulda smacked it in the head.If you hit it in the head there wont be a hole in the pelt but your beetles will have to chew on a skull thats cracked/crushed.
I have a problem with seeing animals suffer so I shoot em' whether or not its gonna costs me in the long run.I'm pretty sure being choked or beat to death would suck really bad.I would'nt like it if someone was doin that to me so I'm gonna assume a yote feels the same way about it.I hope I dont sound like a tree hugger because I aint.But thats the way I feel about it but,if you dont have a problem with it thats your baby to carry.But to answer your question,the skulls gonna be all kinds of messed up unless your choke the yote to death.If you do that......dont film it and put it on youtube or brag about it because that hurts the rest of us that enjoy trappin critters too.Good Luck.

if you dont want to mess up the skull, shoot them in the side right behind the leg, like you would a deer, or any other big game animal, its no differnt between a yote or a deer, its a humane kill, plus theres less blood to deal with.

I want to watch some one try to choke down a yote
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeff Erwinif you dont want to mess up the skull, shoot them in the side right behind the leg, like you would a deer, or any other big game animal, its no differnt between a yote or a deer, its a humane kill, plus theres less blood to deal with.

I want to watch some one try to choke down a yote
laugh.gif

+1 Behind the shoulder would work too.
Come to think of it.....forget what I said before that would definately be youtube material.
grin.gif

Oh geeze that would be a bad deal!If you use a choke pole thats considered cheatin.
laugh.gif

The one time with a choke pole was enough. It took too long for my comfort level.

I knew the options were limited to vitals....

Heart/lung area sounds better. I have plenty of Beetle food and feeding a busted/broken skull is a pain to wean all the beetles from when they are finished cleaning it.

lol yea i have to agree with archer - it takes forever to choke a yote out ... i havnt done the steping on the lungs with yotes but it works great wtih fox (only way i put them out ). coyotes are just to big for that .. you can hit them at the base of the head and neck or shoot them in the lungs (for this i would say use aguila 60grain sub sonics (even though there sub sonic they hit harder then regular high vocilicy .22 and goes deeper.. but i would just say shoot them between the eyes but you dont want to do that , they will still bleed with the hiting or shooting in the lungs a little

Shooting in the lung-heart area is a lot less bloodier than a head shot, works very well a 22 short to the lung heart!!!

Originally Posted By: trapwvThe 22 hole in the pelt will not hurt it at all, selling or tanning. A 22 hole is no big deal, coyote are fur side out and if they are put up correct you wont even see it!!!

Shoot them thru the side with a 22. How many of the choke pole fans have had a yote in a snare on a kill pole turn into a water head. Russ

Originally Posted By: littlbigdI just reread this and realized you 'dont' want to shoot them in the head.

I know some trappers who bonk them on the head with a bat and then stand on their chest to suffocate them - they cant breathe with your weight on their chest. That is a humane bloodless dispatch.

This method works great. We used a long handled garden shovel to dig our dirt hole sets and used it to thump the Coyote on the head and then stand on it. It don't take much of a whack to stun the Coyote enough so that you can stand on it.

Back