Reloading a Tikka T3 Lite in 243 using 70gr Noslers - what COL?

sbranden

Hey folks - howdy. I'm new to this forum but have a couple of questions that can probably be easily answered by any of the more experienced hand loaders out there.

Bought a Tikka T3 Lite earlier this year. It seems to really like the factory 55gr Nosler BT's and Hornady 58gr V-MAX's. 1/2" @ 100 yards with both. But given costs and where I have liked the blowup of the V-MAX's better, this is probably the way I will go on the light bullet side of things. I had heard great things about the 70gr Noslers too though, and Varget powder - so this is where I am starting and depending on the results, well... I may just keep it right there for this gun figuring the 70's will do better in the wind, may not wear the barrel as fast, and would give me an option to take down more than just ground-hog size stuff if I wanted to.

I have seen some in other forums cautioning about Nosler's 'max load' data which I believe for a 70gr BT and Varget is about 42 grains. The Lee die set I bought, where I wanted the collet for neck sizing my brass only, said 40.5 would be max. Another fellow told me it was 41.5. For Nosler 70's in 243 using Varget, is there any concensus on 'max load' to be really safe whether it is my 2nd shot or 200th shot?? I'm using Rem 9 1/2 primers.

Also, what is everybody using for a COL? Again, I know this can vary but for right now I'm really not looking to 'seat it to the lands'. Want something that makes sense, for 58 V-MAX - for 70gr Noslers - and for 85gr Sierra HPBT bullets.

I was thinking of trying 2.625 with 40.5, 41.0, 41.2, 41.5, and 41.7 for starters with the 70's.

Welcome to the board sbranden!
grin.gif

Jack

Thanks Jack.

Nosler confirms 42 of Varget for a 70gr BT in 243 should be OK. But I still don't have confirmation on the COL that they were using for their testing.

I loaded 3 last night at 40.5 and 2.625 before being interrupted with phone calls to the point where I just had to forget it.

If I may be so bold . . . I suggest getting a bullet comparator and COL gauge. You don't have to jam the bullets, but you may want to know just how far off the lands you are (especially when you're talking about going with max loads).

Here's a link to what Nosler shows regarding load data: http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=6mm&s=108

Here's a link to Hodgdon's reloading data center: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Nosler reloading data indicates 42 gr of Varget. COL, as addressed in Nosler reloading literature is suggesting a COL "slightly longer than 2.710". I don't know what they mean by "slightly longer".

Hope this helps . . .
-Scott

About the only useful info I could get out of Nosler's Tech Support was a rule of thumb to keep your caliber's diameter worth of bullet inside the case, so .243 off of a 70gr BT that is like .903" in length - that means .660 showing and if you take the extreme range for a .243 case (2.045 maximum, so I guess 20 off of that or 2.025 minimum) and add .660 then you would get a range of 2.685-2.705.

So now I may be hosed - already loaded up a bunch @2.625 COL.

I found 1 leftover 55gr factory round this morning early, and as I measured - even it was up around a 2.569 COL. Of course they had a nice crimp on it too... probably needed that to keep the bullet from falling out! You can't tell me they have any .243" worth of that bullet tucked away.

Anyway, hopefully some extra "jump" won't hurt. I'm planning to test what I have already done at the range this Saturday.

Looks like you were definitely closer to the mark than I was though songdogslayer. Any other experiences out there on what folks are using for their COL with 70gr Nosler BT's, well - let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey if anyone actually has a Federal factory round that is a Nosler 70 and could measure it, that would work too.

I looked at the Nosler reloading data on-line, but unless I'm missing something I didn't even see results with Varget powder listed. 6mm tab, 243 Win, 70 Grain - and all I see is results for H335, IMR4064, and IMR4831. And none of the usual advice about COL, or what primer they used in testing,...etc. Been like pulling teeth with these folks. When I've had questions in the past about Sierra's bullets, or Hornady, or Speer - I just send them a quick e-mail, and they respond back with a pdf... a cut-n-paste straight out of their reloading manual.

Last edited:
2.625 wasn't bad at all today.

My first 3 handloads ever with this rifle, @ 40.5 of Varget, cut a cloverleaf at 100 yards. Bumped up to 41.0, not as tight, 41.2 - better, 41.5 - losing it again, but then both 41.6 and 41.7 were looking good. (I probably pulled shot #3 on my 41 and 41.5 groups, but the other two still had a little white space between them.) So now I think I go back to 41.6, 41.7 - several groups each, then bump on up a little maybe from there. If I can get either of these two though to look like my first 3-shot group with 40.5, I may just call it good enough knowing that I got some additional velocity out of it at least. Seems like a pretty easy round to load for!

Nice write-up and good job on the trigger! Once you've found what you believe to be the best powder charge, you may want to start working on your seating depth - not that it appears necessary, judging by the holes in the paper. Sure glad to see you have found a good load and you are shooting it well. I think the fellas at the bullet companies are going to give you some very "safe" rule of thumb information regarding seating depths (they probably don't want to advise you to load something too deep because that throws off the pressure data). Keep up the good work! BTW, did you happen to get a chrono reading on these loads?

Thanks but no, I don't have a chrono yet unfortunately and I really should. Maybe Christmas.

I've played with other home made ways to test how far out I can seat bullets in other calibers, but to tell you the truth I haven't been too comfortable with pushing this to the extremes the way some folks seem to. Same reason I don't crimp. To me, all other things being equal, if I can find a powder charge that produces a barrel vibration that gets me 1/2" or better at 100 yards, well... that covers it for my long distance varminting. I'm not shooting competition and I really don't want the potential for huge pressure spikes if I get a couple tenths more powder in the case for whatever reason one day, or make a slight error on my COL setting, or change primer or powder lots, etc.

41.7 (on the other target - not shown here)looked almost identical to 41.6. I was only doing a couple rounds each on what was my "high end" for this first day out, more of a pressure check than anything else, but they looked good!

Another guy on gunbroker said he was getting 3501 fps @ 40.5, 3541 @ 41.0, 3580 @ 41.5 and 3634 @ 42.0. I believe he was shooting a Weatherby SVM so a 26" barrel and a little more velocity than I can probably expect from this 22 7/16" T3 barrel. So I was what, maybe 3500 at 41.7 ?

If you have any good chrono recommendations, or fool-proof instruments to check what my COL could be in this 243, I'm open to it. I definitely am enjoying reloading so wouldn't mind making other investments in my equipment over time.

Unless you're going to shoot some competition, I'd just go with a $100 - $120 chronograph - it's what I use and the bullets go where I expect them to all the way out to 600+ yards - must be an accurate chrony.

I use the hornady COL gauge and matching bullet comparator - works well enough for me. Not saying it's the best, but it certainly works.

Good luck to you.
-Scott

Loaded up 6 @ 41.7 - same COL as before, 2.625.
Loaded up 6 @ 41.7 - bumped up my COL to 2.650, we'll see.
Then back to 2.625 again, and...
Loaded up 3 @ 41.8 (41.6 & 41.7 both looked good last time).
Loaded up 2 @ 41.9, and 2 @ 42.0 (max) - pressure tests only.

Probably won't get to shoot these until next weekend though.

Hello sbranden while I am no expert at reloading I have enjoyed it for many years and one of my favorite guns to load for is my Remington model 700 in 243 great caliber for many of the critters I like to hunt mainly coyotes on windy days. I usually stay pretty close to the reloading manuals so far without ever having any problems I figure those guys are the professionals at load development, I followed the information from the nosler reloading manual for most accurate load with a 70 gr ballistic tip and 42 gr varget with CCI large rifle primers (could not find Remington around town) and ended up at the COL of 2.710 the S.A.A.M.I. max listed in the book with great success, in fact a friend of mine mistakenly grabbed my 243 as we left the truck in the dark last year instead of his 300 on an elk hunt and didn’t realize it until we were sneaking up on a small herd he panicked a little and I assured him it was okay that with the gun and the loads accuracy he could just noggin knock a cow, we got within 200 yds of the grazing elk and the lead cow turned her head and looked away from us we were prone and he had the bi-pods down so I told him to settle in and take her she dropped in her tracks and he fell in love with that little gun of mine, needles to say after that was high 5's and a lot of work getting her back to the truck, now I'm not recommending using a 243 for elk hunting but the load and caliber are capable with shot placement.
I also use for a more cost effective and prairie dog / varmint wrecking bullet Speer’s 70 gr TNT with the same load with the same great results blowing up prairie dogs out past 500 yds, I also used this load to fill my 1st of 3 antelope tags this year and at 450 yds she didn’t know what hit her, as for barrel damage I haven’t noticed any problems yet and have shot about 500 rounds with these loads so far. I have a master F-1 shooting crony and tested this load on Jan. 30th of this year the outside temp was about 40 degrees with the nosler bullet I shot 5 rounds and came up with an average of 3461 I bought the crony new on eBay for around $85 dollars with shipping, another load I have been playing with is 49.4 grains varget and a 55 gr nosler bal tip and CCI LR primers it chronyed at an average of 4137 fps the same day, I don't shoot this one to often worried about the barrel when its hot but it is also an accurate load that wrecks gophers and prairie dogs and sometimes faster is fun, the down side to these loads are that they can be hard on a coyotes hide when hunting for pelts but on a windy day it sure does the job at longer distances. Sorry for ramblin on so long but I hope this helps good luck and enjoy.

Sounds good to me tmix! I'm just going to take my time but with this Tikka - these 70gr Nosler BT's - and Varget, I really feel like the potential is there for a great load.

It all comes down to shot placement on the heavier stuff, that's a fact. Appreciate you sharing some of what has worked for you. I may get to the 55's in the Spring, but I kind of think I am going to try the Hornady 58 V-MAX first for ground-hogs. I shot both factory rounds this summer but the V-MAX Moly's just seemed to be more explosive. (I'm not at all concerned about pelt preservation in my application. :eek:)) If you look at the bullet construction, the Noslers have more material at their core. They also don't have the big gap under the tip the way the V-MAX's do, which I think probably accounts for the greater blow-up. Depending on how flat these 70's are though, I may just stick with them for varminting and then go up from there... 85 TSX's or 90 or 95gr Nosler hunting bullets for the heavier stuff. We'll see, thanks again!

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned that Tikka's have a very short magazine box. The Maximum OAL will probably be the longest round that will fit the clip.

Dave

"very short magazine box. The Maximum OAL will probably be the longest round that will fit the clip."
The stripper clip has nothing to do with the magazine length. There is no limit to what will fit in a clip. What will fit in the magazine is a different story.

Jack

No one said anything about a stripper clip.
Clip and magazine can be used interchangeably if it is removeable from a rifle or pistol.

Not the first time someone has called me stupid in 63 years. 58 of them hunting and shooting. I bet you may be the only one who didn't know what I was talking about.

Dave

I knew what you meant Dave, and it's a valid point since all of my rifles are used for hunting and I don't want to put myself in a position where I have to be loading one round at a time out in the field. I'll measure my magazine (clip) the next time I have my caliper out.

Sbranden,

I have now and have had, A total of 5 Tikka T3's. The two with the heavy stainless barells, a .223 and a .308 didn't shoot so well but the T3 lites I have had, A .223, a .243, and a 25-06 all will shoot 1/2" or better most of the time. All had a short magazine and might shoot even better with a longer mag. The throat is plenty long, but the design of the action/bolt/magazine makes it difficult to load single shot.

Dave

Hey Dave. I take my Tikka out all the time, and can drop a shell into the chamber with no feeding probs. Why do people say its hard to do that ? Just curious..

Thanks..

Back