Smith & Wesson vs. Stag vs. Bushmaster

Kydogduster

I have been looking around my area for a couple of weeks now for an AR15/M4, flattop. Around here, I can get a Smith M&P for $950.00. Same rifle in a Stag is $820.00. Bushmaster is running about $1,000.00. I shot a Bushmaster w/detachable sights yesterday. Shot great at 100yds w/iron sights. I don't know anyone that has the Smith or the Stag. All three are very close in appearance an features, chrome bbls., fwd. assist, The Smith come with 5 30rnd mags. Anyone own a Stag? How does it shoot? Smith M&P? Is the Bushmaster worth the extra money? Thanks for your input.

Have had all three in an M4 config. One M&P15, one stag and several bushmasters. Hard to beat the price and performance of the stag. The M&P faired the worst in the accuracy dept, suprisingly. Other two were pretty much equal when ran with optics, just over 1moa or slightly worse.

I have a Bushy 20" flat top. Great purchase back in the day before Nobama, so a good price. It's great as far as accuracy and reliability.

Another consideration is resale. I think the Bushy would be pretty easy to sell -- either the rifle or just the upper. Can't comment on the other two as have no exposure. Lots of other guys on this forum do though.

My 2 cents.

All three are good. Find the one that has the features you want at the price that works for you.

Smith has some of the best warranty support in the business. With their pistols, if it is broke they even pay for shipping both ways.

This document really puts the manufacturers side by side. Click on the comparison link at the bottom of the page.

Comparison

Stag is much better than Bushmaster. S&W makes a gun slightly better than a Stag. Bang for the buck, Stag is at the very top of the list. I have yet to see anyone be able to wear out their stag.

Interesting comparison chart. Of the "few" ar's i have,the only one i didn't build is a bushmaster predator. It has shot either cloverleafs or ragged one hole groups at 100yd sine it was broken in, off of sandbags. I haven't tried a s/w or stag, so i can't comment on them. blue

Originally Posted By: BflamanteThis document really puts the manufacturers side by side. Click on the comparison link at the bottom of the page.

Comparison

Stag is much better than Bushmaster. S&W makes a gun slightly better than a Stag. Bang for the buck, Stag is at the very top of the list. I have yet to see anyone be able to wear out their stag.

Appreciate the link to the "chart". Question. In what way is the Stag "much" better than the Bushmaster though? Don't take this wrong. The Stag is a fine rifle, but if one were to go by the inaccurate chart, I would select the Bushy over the Stag for it's M4 feedramps. The chart is so far out of date (many feel obsolete) it doesn't indicate that Bushmaster properly stakes it's carrier keys. I could be wrong but I think Stag stakes their keys now too. (They might even have feedramps now.)

Castle nut staking? I can stake my own in about 2 seconds. Finish under the FSB? Has anyone really had an issue with this? I drag my Bushy around in the rain and mud and never had a problem. A lot of importantance is placed on insignificant differences.

The features that jump the other rifles to "tier 1" status are questionable. Shot peened bolts and barrels, pressure tested bolts and barrels? Many have their doubts whether this is actually being performed on each and every bolt and barrel. The other brands are batch tested. I don't recall hearing of exploding barrels and bolts from the companies that batch test. I guess we needed a chart illustrating Tier 1,2,3 to give some division to the masses. lol!. I guess it is important to many to feel they have the best avaiable. I have mostly BCM rifles now and they are excellent but I wouldn't hesitate to own any of the 3 mentioned. All 3 are excellent rifles. I would lean towards the S&W probably for price and features.

If the chart is a concern to anybody with the lower tier rifles, get a BCM FA BCG and stake your carrier key and castle nut. There...now you are tier 1. lol!

Good hunting

I've seen some good fights over that chart.
grin.gif

So, who thinks it's important to have an M16 (full auto) BCG in their hunting rifle? How about a chromed barrel/chamber?

Personally, I'd avoid both of those like the plague.

I bought an Oly bull-barrel 20" stainless and there are very few rifles I've seen that will outshoot it at 100 yards or more. That chart is valuable if you want a rifle to conform to the military standard for M4 combat rifles.

I've bought Stag lowers and I was impressed with the workmanship and finish. I'd say if you picked a good quality barrel, Stag is a high quality rig with good resale value.

If I wanted a rifle with outstanding accuracy, I'd still buy an Olympic Arms Ultramatch model in 16 or 20" with the RRA match trigger installed and get the lifetime warranty. Every one I've ever seen shot bugholes and the price is very good for what you're getting.

Or go with that chart.
crazy.gif

Thanks guys for all the good input. Picked up the Stag flat top this afternoon. Scoped it this evening and ready to take it to the range. I don't like the way the scope has to mount so high, but I guess you always have tradeoffs.

Cheek weld really doesn't matter with a ar, i use leopold extra high rings on mine to get it comfortable, ... but then again i have been known to stick my neck out anyway. blue

Geez, not “THE CHART” again.
I see now they’ve got it all spiffed up in excel like it’s official or something.
I wish it would die a slow death or at least stay at ARFcom where the Mall Ninjas believe in its divine powers of discernment.
You want accuracy? Get an Ultramatch.
I wouldn’t be ashamed to own any of the brands that are on the bottom of “THE CHART”
As for Colt being the absolute best, I’ve got an H-BAR for sale. Not that it’s a bad rifle, I would just rather have something from the bottom of “THE CHART”.

Well i have agree about the bottom of the chart working for me, but honestly killforfood, ... tell us how you Really feel about the chart! (lol) blue

Quote:Good to see the chart haters are still around.

I don't hate it, I just don't believe that it represents what a person should look for in an AR they are going to use for sporting purposes.

Like I said before, full-auto bolt carriers, 5.56mm chambers and chrome-lined barrels are all disadvantages to most hunters that are trying to get the best accuracy.

Now if you're building a combat rifle, it may be a good guide.

But if you think your M-4 "combat" rifle, built from that chart, will outshoot my Oly, you're in dreamland.
grin.gif

Last edited:
You made a good choice in Stag!

I own rifles from 9 of the companies listed in that chart and have no problem saying, that all listed make fine rifles. While my 6920's are my pride and joy, my Stag 2T is what goes hunting with me most of the time. It's the best shooting M4 I have ever owned and I believe Stag guarantees .5 moa in it. What others have said about the Oly Ultramatch is true, as it's one heck of a good shooter. Wished I never sold the one I had.

Looking across that chart, you can tell it's very outdated. Several of those manufactures have updated their rifles in the last few years. People need to remember that some of those options are intended for burst or full auto rifles and are not needed in a semi auto 5.56.

Last edited:
Quote:people need to remember that some of those options are intended for burst or full auto rifles and are not needed in a semi auto 5.56.

Yes, and if your rifle ever doubles or bursts, due to a malfunction, NOT having a full-auto bolt carrier may save your bacon if it goes to court.
I avoid all full-auto parts (unless I was to build a full-auto, of course).

Maybe that's just paranoia.
crazy.gif

Evil Lurker posted this.
Like I said before, full-auto bolt carriers, 5.56mm chambers and chrome-lined barrels are all disadvantages to most hunters that are trying to get the best accuracy.

Please explain to me how the m 16 carrier is a disadvantage?

Quote:please explain to me how the m 16 carrier is a disadvantage?

Not an accuracy disadvantage, a legal disadvantage if you have a malfunction.
I shouldn't have grouped it in like that.
A full-auto bolt carrier is just as accurate as a non-modified one.

But of course in the "chart", it's listed as a disadvantage.
wink.gif

Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited:
Back