LEUPOLD PRICES---WOW

Since theres a bunch of knowlegable people on here, can someone enlighten me on the benifits of the side focus verses the front AO ?. I sure do like the looks of the s/f but sure wish there wasnt such a price differance.
I was in Billings this past weekend and a store there had a pretty good sale on optics. The new style Vari X-3 LR (30mm tube) 6.5x20 fine Duplex w/side focus was $645 which i see now is a pretty good price. Wish now I would've bought it , and in Montana theres no sales tax.

Last edited:
I like the side focus due to smaller overall diameter of the objective making scope clearance easier. When varmint hunting, it is easier for me to turn the side focus than it is an AO ring while in the prone. I can keep my eyes on the prize easier. It also eliminates the annoying condition when using scope covers and they hit one side or the other while dialing the AO. For predator hunting applications, the movement required to change focus is much more discreet from the shooting sticks or sitting positions. Once you buy a side focus, it's hard to go back
frown.gif

I actually like the adjustment on the end of the scope like the older models. IMO it takes me less time to adjust than the side focus. But I shoot LH, that may make a difference. I am not sure.

From what I understand the reason why Side focus is better is because it weighs less, and it takes the weight off the end of the scope, and puts the smaller weight in the center of the scope.

I have seen some slow motion videos of rifles in recoil. You would be suprised how much a scope moves(sine wave), like the barrel moves. And shorter scopes with less weight on the end is suppose to make them stronger. Tom.

Part of it is when Leupold came out with the new VX-III the old one VXIII became the VX-II. Same price, just a different name. I may have the dashes on the wrong ones but you get the idea.

For what it's worth, I have a scope with frontal and another with side focus on my long guns. I kinda believe the difference is nothing more than a matter of convenience. One thing for sure, thank goodness I bought my Leupold VarX-III some 26 years ago cause I darn shouldn't wouldn't be able to afford one today. But they are surely an awesome scope no matter the date.

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoFor what it's worth, I have a scope with frontal and another with side focus on my long guns. I kinda believe the difference is nothing more than a matter of convenience. One thing for sure, thank goodness I bought my Leupold VarX-III some 26 years ago cause I darn shouldn't wouldn't be able to afford one today. But they are surely an awesome scope no matter the date.

I too have an older Vari X III 3.5x 10 about the same age as yours and still thought it was an awesome scope till one evening while mule deer hunting, set it up side to side with a new Nikon Monarch 3x9 on my friends rifle. Believe me, scopes have gotten better.
It is hard to part with our tried and true gear, but as our eyes age upgrading optics might be a good idea. I just swapped out an old Leupold with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 that knocks my socks off.

Oh trust me...I know about the age factor very well. After hitting 60 a few years back, I started feeling thing I never imagined. But because of the eye "falloff," I have a couple new Nikon Buckmasters 4.5X14X40 that I have mounted on my 22-250 and 30.06. But like you say, I just can't part with my Leupold on my.308 which is still "My Baby!" But I must admit seeing that little half-inch dot at 100 yds becomes more challenging each time I head to the range which is weekly. One thing for sure, gotta see what ya wanna hit!

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoOh trust me...I know about the age factor very well. After hitting 60 a few years back, I started feeling thing I never imagined. But because of the eye "falloff," I have a couple new Nikon Buckmasters 4.5X14X40 that I have mounted on my 22-250 and 30.06. But like you say, I just can't part with my Leupold on my.308 which is still "My Baby!" But I must admit seeing that little half-inch dot at 100 yds becomes more challenging each time I head to the range which is weekly. One thing for sure, gotta see what ya wanna hit!

Know what you mean..
If you get to the point where Cataracts are a problem for you, see your Opthamologist and have new lenses installed in each eye. That will take your eyes back to your early 40's, where you can actually see well enough to use iron sights again.
When I had new lenses put in both eyes, I celebrated and bought an iron sighted Marlin 336 in 30-30.. Just like a kid again. I can see..
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Jack Roberts"Now I realize the import scopes went up a good bit. But most of that can be attributed to the drastically weaker dollar on the world exchange. But that has no effect on Leupold."
It certainly does affect Leupold. Almost all parts used to assemble Leupold scopes are manufactured overseas.

Jack

Older thread, but....

Every piece of every gold ring scope (excluding the glass) is made in Beaverton, OR. I have friends that work there, and I have been there myself to see them produce them.

Back