Steel Shot for coyotes?

Originally Posted By: RoscoeT Originally Posted By: GCRespectfully... A large Canadian coyote of 35+ pounds is one [beeep] of a lot tougher than an 8 pound bird. Coyotes have thick fur, considerably heavier bones, and a will to live that can amaze you sometimes.

Oh yeah, for sure. But geese are much tougher than a card board box.

Ahhh, true indeed.

Boomy - How has the Steel BBB worked for you? WE have non-lead restrictions in Kalifornistan and I just picked up some BBB in Steel. The store didn't have any Heavier than lead, and nowadays...GRRRR... they don't let us order online here in the Republik.

Have you had an opportunity to use the BBB yet on yotes? At what ranges?

Boomy replied to this thread over 9 years ago.

BBB steel shot may work on coyotes if you do head and neck shots at 30 yards and less. Steel shot really sucks, it is the worst shot ever shot out of a shotgun. Even jacking the speed and recoil way up with steel shot doesn't help it penetrate much deeper.

Look below how steel BBB shot compares to lead BB shot for penetration.

Steel BBB shot at 1600 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 22.2 yards.

Lead BB shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards.

You can buy HW13 BB shot from Bucks Run Sports supply and reload it for less than half of what Hevi-Shot Goose "B" shot loads or Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote "T" shot loads are selling for.

Yeah thanks, like right after I posted the question I thought to myself "Doh! Better look at the dates on the posts." I had used that Google improved Search functionality because doing the regular Forums search for "Steel Shot" was returning a bunch of unrelated looking stuff.

With the retardedness that is now be-set upon us in Kalifornistan thanks to the minions of brain-dead idiots that vote for the likes of Prop 63 and Gavin Newsom... it looks like this next year just may be when I dive into Reloading.
smirk.gif

Back