Shotgun info has me excited, but what about 2&3/4 shells

doodle

I love all this info on shotguns, it is outstanding. I have a beautiful old 870 wingmaster with three barrels my father gave me. Dad is coming out from several states away to hunt with me the end of october,and I would love for him to get a shot with that old Remington. Problem is it is chambered 2&3/4 only. How does that effect your test, and avalability of the suggested ammo? thanks

30 yards max is all I figure I can get out of my 2 3/4 inch #4 buckshot. It's going to have no affect cause all i'm going to do is shoot a paper plate at 30 yards with each choke tube and count holes untill I find out which choke tube works best.

t/c223encore.

Federal did make Premium 12 ga 2-3/4" 1-1/2 oz of copper coated lead bb's. I just did some searching and couldn't find any, they were a great 2-3/4" coyote load. If you can find any of these Federal 2-3/4" 1-1/2 oz lead BB loads, that would be my first choice. The easiest coyote load to find for 12 ga 2-3/4" will be number 4 buckshot. Hevi-Shot makes a Maximum Defense "T" shot load in 2-3/4" shells and it should be a good 2-3/4" load but it will cost twice as much as the 2-3/4" number 4 buckshot load will. The Hevi-Shot 2-3/4" goose load in "B" shot will work also, but it will also cost almost twice as much as the lead number 4 buckshot load will.

Thank you. I appriciate the suggestions. I will look around. Even if the shells are a little more money it will be worth it over the cost of a new gun, and dad will get to use his old sentamental shotty.

I found that at 40yds in my 870, the 2 3/4 shells patterned better than the 3".

I dont think that you will have any problems what so ever with the smaller shells. Just make sure you pattern them find the right combo and go hunting.

As far as finding shells, I ordered a bunch of differnt stuff online. Generally you will find what you want and it takes a very short time to get it.

Good luck

Dave

I have an old 12ga w/ an extra full choke barrel, 2 3/4" chamber. I have no issues at all out to 50 yards. My Mossberg 500 w/ full choke tube takes out anything vermin at 40 yards. If you check the ballistics the 2 3/4 does not give up anything except oz of shot to a 3". I would go w/ a larger shot then 4 if you are not sure. BTW, I picked up a box of 3" steel BB and a box of 2 3/4" steel BB for geese, the 3" were 21.95 and the 2.75" were 13.95. That is a huge spread!

I wouldn't use any steel loads on coyotes. There is also a huge difference between number 4's and number 4 buckshot. Number 4's are for birds and number 4 buckshot will work on coyotes.

I am glad to hear that several of you have tried the 2 3/4 and I appriciate all of your suggestions. There is so much wonderful info lately on shotguns for yotes, but that old gun just can't handle the shells being tested. Maybe I'll find the right combo and post a great educational thread with lots of super pictures about old guns, short shells, and bad shots.
laugh.gif

I have an old (late 60's I think) silver worn Remington M870 with a 28" fixed modfied barrel and 2 3/4" chamber and a Browning A5 that is exactly the same. I used them for a lot of shooting stuff and shot the occasional feral dog, cat, coon, coyote, and fox with short magnum loads of lead BB's or No. Four Buck. I never had trouble at 35 yards at all if the angle was right and I did my job. Both of those old guns are older than me and I have packed them for many a mile over the years. Today I seldom find myself reaching for one of them as a first choice, but I do like to get them out in the woods once in awhile and they bring a flood of memories of good times from days long past. Good luck and congrat's on hunting with your dad. Those are the memories that I think of when out with my old silvered guns.

Any body tried the "Estate 2 3/4" 4BUCK loads?

Cabelas usually has them in stock. The reviews there look pretty good.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0066034216249a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=shotgun+shells+estate&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I tried an old Remington #5 Turkey 2 3/4" load in one of our old 870's with the plain jane 28" mod. bbl. and was surprised to see that I'd try it on a turkey at 40 yards if i needed to - couldn't believe the pattern with that load, and that load only! Other loads wouldn't do anywhere near that well. Point is, you don't know till you try it out on the patterning board, and different loads with different guns will pattern differently. Check your velocities, but like mentioned above, the speeds are usually similar with the longer and shorter shells, just the amount of shot is different. With a relatively stationary targets such as varmints, now it's just a matter of how far the patterning board shows you that you can repeatably produce a sure-killing pattern. The same number of pellets at a given speed don't care how many they numbered in the shell! Good hunting, and let us know how you make out at the patterning board - these things interest us all.

thanks for the link for the winchester stuff just order 2 boxes with shipping it was about 2 bucks more than 1 box of federal locally now to get some choke tubes

Back