twist rate for a CZ 527 varmint

whodat

Considering purchasing a CZ .223 varmint rifle.

CZ offers 3 models, 2 with a 1 in 9 twist rate the other with a 1 in 12 rate.

Gun will be used as a calling rifle, mostly used for under 300YDS. What's important to me is a fur friendly load and will be using factory loads as I don't reload at the present time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Its not set in stone, but the wood or laminate stocks usually have a 1/12 twist and the synthetic stocked rifle is 1/9. Although I had a laminate stock with a 1/9 so that kinda screws up the mix.
Welcome to P.M.!!

Welcome to the board whodat!
grin.gif

Jack

I have the 9 twist and love it. You have more options with the 9 than the 12. The 9 will stabilize the heavier bullets better than the 12.

I got the 1:12. So far only shot 40 grain due to ammo availability. Everyone is positive it will stabalize 55 and most guns will stablize a 60 gr. If 60 grain vmax is good enough for byron south then they re good enough for me. 55 Will also do the trick if it won't shoot the 60's straight.

my 527 varmint walnut stock is a super amazing tack driver! Submoa right out of the box other then opening up the barrel channel and re-sealing with true oil before I even shot it. Submoa with fiochi 40 gr. vmax and barnes varmint grenades. Only Ammo i have tried. I'm a lousy shot with a low power hunting scope so it can do much better then that.

The set trigger is fantastic for targets.

The weight is not too heavy for a calling gun since I carry it slung on my shoulder to the stand and try not to hike far when calling. I hike so many miles upland hunting I like calling to be a rest from that. If you carry it at the ready from stand to stand could be heavy. The added weight is GREAT when shooting though.

here she is!

527firstcoyote002.jpg

527readyforrange009.jpg

Last edited:
I have that same rifle, an American CZ 527 in 223. It has the 1-12 twist, and I just load accordingly. Bullets I use are 50 grain and lighter.
If you want to shoot the heavy 22 caliber bullets, then a fast twist is in order.

Back