Jamestown North Dakota?

fw707

I've got a duck hunting trip planned for early October not far from Jamestown.
I was wondering if I should take the caller and the rifle?
grin.gif

Hey fw707: Have you been to ND hunting before? If not a couple of things.

A lot of the duck hunting in that area takes place around the sloughs (I assume you know what a slough is). This last winter they had a lot of snow so the sloughs should be pretty full compared to the last few years. The waterfowl( especially the geese) tend to follow where the water is so if you get there and the sloughs seem to be pretty dry, try to find an area where it's better. In our area, west of Harvey, it was really dry by us last year but 30 miles east they had a lot of waterfowl because earlier in the summer they had had a thunderstorm that put down 8-10 inches of rain in 24 hours.

It's always good to take the caller and rifle if you have the option. The sloughs tend to have a lot of cattails that is great cover for calling especially if it's next to a harvested field with stubble left. Be careful though as two years ago a hunter was around a slough with his dog and the dog flushed out a mountain lion which the hunter shot out of self-defense. This happened in the area between Jamestown and Bismarck but closer to Bismarck. He said the lion was just a few feet away from him and he wouldn't have known it was there if his dog hadn't flushed it. They used to say the lions were never east of the Missouri river but that's not true. I saw one cross the highway in front of me on highway 14, about six miles south of Anamoose, as I was going south towards Bismarck which is way east of the river.

Hopefully this helps and have a great time.

Lee

Lee, last Fall was my first ND duck hunt. I got invited by some guys who make the trip every year. We hunted between Jamestown and Bismarck and got limits most days shooting potholes. Lots of teal last year.
I was thinking that yote hunting would be a good way to pass the afternoons after the duck hunting was done.
wink.gif

In our area, which is north to northwest of your area, the farmers love predator hunters to help keep down the coyote population. In fact our neighbor to the south,about four miles south of Martin if you're looking on a map, rent out a renovated school house to hunters. Usually the hunters are going after ducks, geese and deer during the appropriate seasons. They always tell their guests to feel free to go after the coyotes if they want to keep them away from the cattle as much as possible. Most of the farmers, who almost all raise cattle, love to have people go for the predators. Just make sure you ask or let them know what you would like to go for and you'll probably be their new best friend. They never want the coyotes to develop a taste for beef.

Have fun and good luck.

Lee

I haven't been on this site in a while. Wish I had, I grew up around Jamestown. How did your hunt go? There are a lot of ducks this year, but with the cold snap it's hard to know how long they will stick around. Always bring your calls and rig!

The hunt went fine. Duck numbers were down from last year, but we still had plenty to shoot at!
grin.gif

Most fun for me was a field hunt in layout blinds......shoot a while, then nap a while!
laugh.gif

034.jpg

048.jpg

Last edited:
fw707 said:
Duck numbers were down from last year....quote]

That's interesting. There seems to be more ducks then usual around where I live. The ducks from up north haven't started to come down yet, but should soon due to the weather. I plan to get out in 2 weeks, have plans to coyote hunt out in the western part of the state this weekend.

We were around the Medina/Woodworth/Barnes Lake area. Enough ducks for good hunting, but not as many as last year. The local folks said a cold front pushed a lot of them south about 3 days before we got there.

"Shoulda been here last week, oughtta be here next week."
grin.gif

Last edited:
Back