Steel Shot for coyotes?

RoscoeT

I have been wanting to take the shotgun with me for coyotes.

It seems really hard to find a reasonably priced shell for coyotes.

I know that some use lead BB but I can't seem to find any.

#4 buck seems like too few pellets, going by what some pros have said.

I was thinking about using some non toxic BB or T shot. The heavy stuff is really pricey. About $2.50 per round.

Anyone use steel for coyotes?

Any suggestions on what yo get without spending more on shells than gasoline?

RT

A large number of guy's on here and elsewhere like the lead No.4's for song dogs. I bought some, but haven't had the gun and a coyote in range yet. I've never Heard of folks using Steel for them. I know Remington HD's are popular and reasonably priced.

steel shot loses energy very quickly, i would think that much after 20-25 yards it would lose enough energy to wound a coyote instead of killing it
many people use #4 buck. in a 3" shell that's 41 pellets if i remember right...that's quite a few.

keep your shots inside 35-40 yards and # 4 buck will work fine.

that is assuming that you have patterned your gun w/ the shells and choke you intend on using.

I used BB for about a year, lead BB. However, I wounded about 40% of the dogs I shot over 50 yards. so I stopped using a shot gun. Now I use 3" 4BK with extra full choke and havnt wounded a dog in atleast 2 months ( probably about 9 dogs and 4 fox have fallen by the shot gun in the last 2 months) I dont think you will regret the #4BK

ive tried some remington nitro 3 1/2 T steel shot and ive killed dogs with it up to 30 yards after that it just sends them spinning in circles and running off so i dont shoot it anymore.

Last edited:
Great info here. I always value the experience of random strangers on the internet.

Seriously though. Thanks.

Last edited:
Steel sucks, use the #4buck. It is a deathly load for song dogs. Make sure you pattern the stuff. I have found that many different chokes will produce big swings in patterns. I always pattern close and then out to 50yds to see where it hits out there. You might just find a tight constriction will not be what you will want for #4 JMO. HAPPY HUNTING

Steel is for the birds and only then because of federal mandates. What "pros" have you consulted with regarding No. Four Buck? Probably a little poking around here would reveal that many of the most experienced shotgun users prefer plated lead No. Four Buck above all other choices for availability, cost, coupled with the ability to get a decent pattern to reasonable ranges, and overall effectiveness. Plated or hardened lead No. Four Buck in a premium load is very effective and an excellent choice. And fifty yards is a long poke with a shotgun, if that sort of range is to be expected as the norm then some denser than lead stuff that carries more energy and is harder will penetrate substantially better than smaller lead shot does.

Remington 3in #4buck lead @ $5.99 a box of 5(41 pellets). Depending on choke' I use extra full turkey, I have kill them out to 70yrs with no problem. The key is to pattern your shotgun and know what it will shoot. A little kentucky windage helps for dogs farther out.

Originally Posted By: GCSteel is for the birds and only then because of federal mandates. What "pros" have you consulted with regarding No. Four Buck? Probably a little poking around here would reveal that many of the most experienced shotgun users prefer plated lead

I heard Les Johnson on the predator hunting talk cast and I understood that he said, that at one time, used #4 buck but changed to plated BB and got better results.

Originally Posted By: AZPredatorSlayerRemington 3in #4buck lead @ $5.99 a box of 5(41 pellets). Depending on choke' I use extra full turkey, I have kill them out to 70yrs with no problem. The key is to pattern your shotgun and know what it will shoot. A little kentucky windage helps for dogs farther out.

Yeah, I just can't seem to buy any buck shot here smaller than 0

This is the problem. I'm not against #4 buck I just can't get it. So what else can I use with good conscience.

just checked wholesale sports looks likes theres 4 stores in alberta and found some remington #4 buckshot
http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefron.../prod91920.html

they also have some remington lead number 2 (which might be to samll but i know remington makes a bb load) so i would think that they would have some at the store or be able to order them they also had the federal 3" premium stuff just not in BB but they might be able to find it for you

Last edited:
I can't use buckshot in my National Forest. So I use steel BBB. Most of my shots are at 20-30 yds. My gun will patteren it out to 50-60yds, but I have concerns about the remaining energy. If I could find BBB in lead or if I could use #4bk I would.......

Originally Posted By: satchel357just checked wholesale sports looks likes theres 4 stores in alberta and found some remington #4 buckshot
http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefron.../prod91920.html

they also have some remington lead number 2...

Thanks for the effort. I'm pretty sure they don't have it but I can ask again.

#2 may be pretty small but I bet the lead #2 is better than steel BB.

Last edited:
I would not buy lead 2's to shoot coyotes. When I first started calling coyotes in the early 80's I had some 3" Federal copper coated lead 2's. They killed the small California coyotes if I shot them in the head and neck area at 40 yards or less. But they were terrible on coyotes going away even at 30 yards. Lead number 2's do not penetrate very good at all on coyotes when the shot angle is not good. The copper coated lead BB's or number 4 buckshot work much better on coyotes.

last time i shoot steel,i was patterning the gun at 30yds a lot of the shoot didnt even go through the cardboard i was using.i was shocked it didnt,needless to say i never used it to hunt

Originally Posted By: bobeanolast time i shoot steel,i was patterning the gun at 30yds a lot of the shoot didnt even go through the cardboard i was using.i was shocked it didnt,needless to say i never used it to hunt

That would have to be one poison load. I kill geese out to 50 yards with steel bb.

Respectfully... A large Canadian coyote of 35+ pounds is one [beeep] of a lot tougher than an 8 pound bird. Coyotes have thick fur, considerably heavier bones, and a will to live that can amaze you sometimes.

Originally Posted By: GCRespectfully... A large Canadian coyote of 35+ pounds is one [beeep] of a lot tougher than an 8 pound bird. Coyotes have thick fur, considerably heavier bones, and a will to live that can amaze you sometimes.

Oh yeah, for sure. But geese are much tougher than a card board box.

Back