New Ruger AR-15

canislatrans54

Has anyone tried out one of the new Ruger AR-15??
I've always been a Ruger fan.
I'm just wondering how they compare to the Remingtons, RRA & Bushmasters?

I own a Bushmaster Predator, its half the price of the Ruger. I would buy another Bushy and be ahead of the game. I think the new gas system is for more ardent shooters than myself.
Jim

I have one. Mine has been an excellent rifle. Being a piston AR naturally it is going to be more than the Bushmaster. However for a piston AR it is a very good deal. You can't get most piston uppers for the price of the complete Ruger.

Some have experienced carrier tilt and had some buffer tube wear. I haven't seen any on mine. I have close to 1000 rounds so far through mine. Carrier tilt does not affect reliability and has been a phenomena experienced by all piston AR manufactures at some point. There are a couple different ways to prevent or minimize it. Ruger stands behind the SR-556 and I know one guy that had some wear over the course of 1500 rounds. He called Ruger about it and they wanted to look at his rifle. They sent a brand new rifle to him.

Here are a couple pics of the Ruger along side a AR build on a Anvil Arms lower and upper with a Lothar Walther barrel.

RugerSR-556DIAR200rndshoot018.jpg

RugerSR-556DIAR200rndshoot026.jpg

Please excuse the "fishbowl" effect in the 2nd photo from my cheap camera. lol!

Some don't care for the pinned railed handguard.

Accuracy is unusually good for a piston rifle. Mine is comparable to a DI Rem, Bushy or RR. (Not with that junk Wolf ammo on the table. lol!)

As much as I like mine, it probably wouldn't be my pick for a calling rifle. I don't care for a railed handguard on a calling AR. Plus the piston system adds a little weight. One of the others you mentioned would probably be a better pick. For a really light handy calling rifle, an M4 with a float tube is hard to beat and inexpensive. Very light, accurate and handy too.

Have you considered D-Tech? I don't have one of his rifles but I've yet to speak to an unsatisfied customer out of many. He incorporates all the important features needed in a hunting AR and will build it how you want it instead of being stuck with features needing to be changed. If I wasn't going to build one myself, I'd go with D-Tech over the factory offerings. Nothing against the factory rifles of course. They are great too.

Good hunting

I read the article in the American Rifleman and they didn't seem to group very well. Not even close to a 1" group with the 3 loads tested.
I didn't pay anything close to what they say the MSRP is for their AR, for my Piston AR15.
And it will shoot 3/4 " groups with the load I use and the barrel on mine aint even free floated.????

DAB

I'll bet it shoots those 3/4 groups "all day long" too. lol!

American Rifleman doesn't exactly have a reputation for in depth AR reviews. I guess you can believe what a freebie gun rag has to say or listen to all the satisfied real life owners. I'll choose the latter...and the personal experience. If you dig a little deeper you will find more accurate info.

What kind of piston AR do you have? Did you buy a complete rifle or an upper? Or the retrofit?

Well That is the first time I have heard about the Ruger 556 AR, and did not know that The American Rifleman gave Feeble reviews on AR's And have not read about anyone that has one But might have missed it along the Line.

My Question back to you is how do I recognize a Feeble report from a good report, Is there some secret to it, you got me confused.

I would think that they Might have someone that was good behind the trigger doing there testing.

I shot some PMC ammo and it didn't shoot for $#(%.

Sorry if I offended any one sure didn't mean to.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I guess I should checked in with you before I posted the reply, I'll try to remember next time. Sorry
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

DAB

I have a CMMG complete rifle , 16 inch barrel. It will shoot 3/4 inch groups not all day but all week(( tell you the truth never tried to see how many rds till the group goes to lleh)) with 55 GR V-Max with a filling of TAC and a CCI 450 fuse in Winchester brass and a Timney 3# trigger. It must have one H E double tooth picks smooth barrel Very, very little copper fouling even after 50 rds. down the pipe. If I get to shoot more than 5 rounds at one yote it will be at one SLOW ,DUMB yote.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I have a few bolt guns and they all get more copper fouling than my AR barrel with less rds down the pipe.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
We just got in CMMG gas piston uppers at the shop and they are just shy of $700.

I think that is a pretty outstanding deal for anyone looking to get into gas piston.

Had CMMG not produced these I was looking at the Rugers.

Still love the XCR's though
smile.gif

The American Rifleman tests are the most accurate and unbiased you will find in any publications. They are not as desperate for advertising dollars as most gun rags and tend to speak the truth even if they loose an account because of it.

And, the rifle Ruger submitted to the NRA was probably selected as a best representative.

If that was the best rifle Ruger could cherry pick for the NRA???????????

Jack

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsThe American Rifleman tests are the most accurate and unbiased you will find in any publications. They are not as desperate for advertising dollars as most gun rags and tend to speak the truth even if they loose an account because of it.

And, the rifle Ruger submitted to the NRA was probably selected as a best representative.

If that was the best rifle Ruger could cherry pick for the NRA???????????

Jack

That's your opinion Jack. If they are "cherry picking" guns for review, then how accurate of an article is that???? In the past many of American Rifleman's reviews seem to contrast with real world experience. Unbiased maybe. Accurate, sometimes, sometimes not. In depth, almost never. I know for a fact that the rifle wasn't a "best representative" of this model because I've seen the feedback from many owners who's range reports and my own, contradict the articles results. All but one have been extremely happy giving it high praise. (the one being the carrier tilt issue) Some even bought a second one.

Frankly I'm surprised there have been so few bugs with this new rifle. Anyone who knows me knows in the past I haven't even been a huge fan of Ruger so it's not brand loyalty speaking. Ruger has won back the respect from many with their 180 degree attitude change and I hope it continues. I'm impressed with their bold entry into the AR market and I think you will see many more piston ARs coming out from other companies with a reasonable price tag. About time.

Be it the quality of those doing the testing or what. Usually they throw an AR in some Zumbo clone hands who would like nothing more than for it to fail and has little or no experience with ARs. Not sure if that's the case here. I don't read that mag anymore. Mag articles have no value when it comes to evaluating a gun IMO. They take an unbroken in rifle or pistol, put a couple hundred rounds or less through it usually and claim "this is as good as it gets". Not much value in my opinion. You should know this better than anyone Jack. I could give a rip about what the NRA thinks about a rifle. I'll stick with listening to feedback from actual owners and not living on gun rag info. Just call them as I see them.

That said, I've "heard" the article was actually positive other than the guy not knowing how to shoot or the rifle being lackluster in the accuracy dept. Whatever, I know the truth. It is very possible that the rifle written about was a bad apple. There have been a couple isolated instances of trigger pins walking too. Ruger has addressed this with light speed and remedied the few instances where a problem has arose. This happens with all the AR manufactures. Not uncommon when you have several contractors providing parts. The more rifles you produce, the more chances there are for one to have an issue.

As for the CMMG, it's an excellent rifle. I'd like to add one to the safe myself. DI or piston. Real world feedback (such as yours and others) has all good to say about it. Their reputation is stellar. That kind of accuracy out of a piston is very good. Hang on to it.

DAB, sorry if I came off as a dick. I probably took your first post wrong. Over at an AR site there are a handful of SR-556 bashers (all who never touched one) ripping on it simply because it is new. Sorry if I mistook you for being of the same ilk. I've just had my fill of guys ripping on anything that isn't Colt. Little touchy still. lol!

Kodiak, have you seen the new XCR PDW? Sweeet. Wish we could have SBR rifles here. SW is coming out with a new piston rifle too. Should be a winner. I'm looking forward to trying one of those out.

Good hunting

I have a sr556 and love it. I'm not a great shot but with hornady tap fpd ammo mine will shoot 3/4 inch groups. I've shot about 500 rnds. through it with no problems at all. I have only killed one yote with mine and he was only 30 yards, got a crow at about 210. The only thing I did not like was the trigger was about 7 lbs. I did the 15 min. trigger job you see on the web and now it is about 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. and I even like the trigger now. The hornady tap fpds are 55 grain.

People keep complainig about the price of the sr 556. Around here they are one of the cheaper ar's a plain bushmaster is 1199.00 and the ruger was 1509.00 the colt and smith were both higher than that. I bought a bushmaster two years ago for around 700 but times have changed LOL.

Originally Posted By: burkeboy34 People keep complainig about the price of the sr 556. Around here they are one of the cheaper ar's a plain bushmaster is 1199.00 and the ruger was 1509.00 the colt and smith were both higher than that. I bought a bushmaster two years ago for around 700 but times have changed LOL.

same here, prices going down ? but i have no clue what i have in mine... traded a six row cornplanter for it. corn planter was parts only, junker.
worth the price of scrap steel, i suppose.
mines the bushmaster M4, carbine. i'm really starting to like it alot. the only one i grab anymore.
best tractor/pickup weapon i've ever used.

peabody c. train

I also have an SR 556. I LOVE it. Though I do not have any glass on it and will probably not be using it for Calling, I can keep it under 2.5 Inches at 50 yds. Now I read a review were the guy got .75 and .65. Here is the link http://gunblast.com/Ruger-SR556.htm I am very happy so far. I only have about 300 rds through it and it has performed flawlessly. I got it for close home outdoor defense. I have a Rem sps in 223 for longer range shooting.

Im a huge ruger fan, and if this gun came out a year sooner I would of bought it, but got the Remington R-15 predator edition but maybe next year I will get one!

Recently got a ruger sr556. I have just under 200 rnds through it now, half with aac suppressor on it. So far, I am impressed with it and very happy with it's accuracy and function. It shows great potential. I'm sure I'll probably tote it a few times while calling this season......after it gets a paint job. They did pretty good with this one.

Back