How would you hunt it based on info givin.

BTW, as for bedded coyotes you've seen 2. Doesn't mean they are local coyotes, unless you've identified them. Nomads or tresspasser coyotes, do pass through a territorial pr's territory. They tend not to stay long or pass through frequently. Some never pass through again.

When/if you see the same coyotes, bedding in the same area's. Then you have something figured out. More than likely those are the [local]coyotes, that hold that territory.

Although the the fields seem tempting to set-up on . giving a good field of view. coyotes shun fields during daylight.this is a really big obstacle for a beginner hunter to get over.abandon calling from fields rather call to the fields from the timber...IMO. looks like a good spot good luck!

Kirby,
I understand 100% what your saying but i'm not sure how it will fit in Wv and Pa. We have so many hills, hollers, trees and thickets that there is plenty of wind coverage.I def appreciate your info and i'm trying to figure out how to incorporate that into my areas.

skeet987, I can't explain every scenario. Best, I can do was already shown or explained above. A hunter has to do some figureing on his own. Once he/she has some basics.

When I was a young guy, we stalked Red Fox with our Greyhounds/staghounds, on the open crop hills. We either come in from down-wind or angling down-wind. Useing hills to conceal ourselves to get closer.

Might sound like BS, but we got got close to many Reds...many. Our sighthounds/Greyhounds could pick them out very well from long range let alone close range. Even when they/[fox] were balled-up sleeping & motionless.

Once our dogs ears perked up & they would stiffen & stretch their necks out. As they spotted their quarry. We'd say "sickem" & the chase would be on.

Red's have excellent eye-sight. But they are heavy sleepers, as compared to coyotes. That is there down-fall from hunters who stalk.

Once the coyotes moved in. They were much harder to get close to. Very alert, very wary as they are very light sleepers. They "rest" more than they so called "sleep". They are much warier of their surroundings as well.

Any subtle noise, perks their interest & gets their attention. Some moreso than others, but regardless they can pick out the faintest of noises, even in high winds. Their hearing & eye-sight is top notch.

Once the coyotes moved in. We then focused much more on the coyotes. Man what a difference, they were from the Red's. We played heck, even getting to within a 1/4 mile of a balled-up or resting coyote.

Over the yrs, as I became older. I tried different tactics to improve upon what I had learned from my Dad & his two buds. Not to mention, what I had personally learned/obseved.

One big improvment, was coming in from their angled up-wind.
I realized this tactic, was key to getting closer. No doubt, this up-wind angle, assisted in carrying my walk-in/stalk noise & scent. Parallel & down-wind, past a bedded coyote.

As I done it numerous times, over quite a few yrs. I still do it to this day.

As stated before, a hunter can't be quiet enough & stay hidden to be more successful.

Many of my pics were deleted due to my PC crash. I still managed to salvage some of them. EVERY predator pic, that is on my PC or on photobucket. All of those canines are facing a down-wind direction.

Adjust accordinly.

skeet987,

One more thing. I've hunted many days when there was the slightest of winds, or very little. Reds & coyotes still laid with the wind at their backside.

I've also seen on these "lite wind" days. Coyotes specifically, still use structure. Laying in dips or pockets with the wind at their backside.

Pic is facing NorEast. Wind from the NorWest. Yearling coyote laying on the South slope[down-wind]. That pine tree patch up-hill, is their core area. The local pr, let this pup hang around most of last Winter. I didn't see this yearling in late Spring. Perhaps moved on or was killed?

A hunter working his way in from the South[to make a call stand, or otherwise]. More than likely would've been seen/heard by this coyote. She had a long wide panoramic view.

Yearling is 5/8 mile from me, as I'm sitting on the South roadway shoulder.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Jan1309014.jpg?t=1255438312

Kirby,

From your pictures all I see is open. Do you have any wooded ares/thick stuff around? What i'm getting at is do you think a coyote would prefer bedding in a more open area for visual purposes or laying in the brush for concealment?

skeet, roughly 90% of the time they'll[coyotes] will choose cover during[daytime]. Yes there is cover in my area, brushy/weeded creeks & timber patch's. There are also some very high hills with some steep grades. Red's tend to pick the open areas, moreso than coyotes. I reckon coyotes are abit smarter
smile.gif

Below is an adult Red, that bedded in a "dip" or slight rolling crop hill. Sometimes, a Red or coyote will dig down abit into the snow[or corn chaff], whatever to get out of the wind more. They'll do this mostly in harsh Winter weather.

Red is facing down-wind, eyeing me. 3/8 mile out from the roadway.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Jan27093-Reds4-coyotes049.jpg?t=1255438850

BTW, coyotes often are in the picked corn fields[WHEN, they decide to lay in the "open areas"]. As they offer a good view, wind protection[between the corn rows] & of course a good prey base[mice, voles & rabbits].

Last edited:
I really appreciate your willingness to answer question's and the effort you put into your answer's! I'll remember this info when I go out again and try to use it the best I can.

skeet, "Another one more thing" LOL! There is this one timber patch in my hunt area. It sets roughly 3/8-1/2 mile from a highway to it's North. It's very hilly with steep ravines. Has spotty brush/bush patchs' as well.

When the wind is from a Southerly direction. I'll sit on a dead end road[to it's North] to scan it's North side & Northern sloping hills & draws. It's not dense/heavy, but abit spread out. Very good for viewing when there is snow cover.

This timber patch is roughly 4 acres or so. Coyotes hold that timber every yr, that I've known, for many yrs.

When the wind is from a Southerly direction. They still bed & mill around on the Northern slopes & draws. IMO, it doesn't matter whether there is any trees, brush or not. They prefer the down-wind areas.

Good shooting to you all, post your pics.

That coyote "yearling" above. Here are it's parents. This pr, most often bed on this slope down hill & to the South from that pine tree patch. Specifically when the wind is a NorWester. I seen them numerous times last Winter in the same focal area.

NorWest wind this day, wind at their backside. This hill is very high & long. I'm 5/8 mile South/SouWest of them on the roadway shoulder.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Jan21094-Reds6-coyotes037.jpg?t=1255441245

I tried to show you guys the land layout, I marked tops and bottoms of hill's .

I Will be taking this info to the field. Kirby the one coyote i seen on that land was bedded. the other was in the midddle of the dirt road right at the placemark that says enrty point greg,at night with a live rabbit 4 feet in front of him. I seen this with MY own eyes and headlights. As my car crested the entrance on the right side of the pic the yote and rabbit were right there. The coyote turned and was gone the rabbit ran also.

Last edited:
gregland-3.jpg

Ok, from what I can gather? looking at your earlier photo. "West" is in the lower right corner, East upper left corner?.

Not wanting to shoot towards a roadway. I would wait until the wind is From the South. Come into the area where that red hash mark is[gregs gram]lower right corner.

Then procede East bound until I got to that [2nd] timber ridgeline. That is near the lower right in the pic[black sqiggle line is on]. I would set-up with a call in that timber, on the Eastern edge. Have my wingman set-up to the North of me, near the Northern tip on that timber ridge.

Caller cover's crosswind[East]area. Wingman covers down-wind[Northerly] area.

Last edited:
Kenawell1,

Here's another bedded coyote. Pic is facing due West. Wind was stout from the West/SouWest. Coyote is bedded on the down-wind side of the [East-West]/barbed fence. Also bedded on the down-wind side[Eastern slope] of that hill, it's on. Wind @ it's backside.

Coyote is near 1/2 mile straight West of me, from the gravel road.

Yeah, coyote heard my truck stop, near[1/2 mile down-wind]from him. Et turned his head for a look see. You add timber to these rolling hills. Samo...samo.

My ole fatgirl is shooting good this yr. Run coyote...run LOL!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Jan31096-coyotesyotecallr010.jpg?t=1255562669

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Jan31096-coyotesyotecallr012-1.jpg?t=1255564103

Note his ears laid down. No need to listen to me. As he's getting an eyefull watching what I'm doing.
Coyote never did go into alert mode.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Jan31096-coyotesyotecallr008-1.jpg?t=1255564218

Coyote heard a noise, turned his head into the wind. Note, he's alert now, ears upright listening.
There is an active farmsted 5/8 mile, straight West[angled up-wind] of this coyote.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Jan31096-coyotesyotecallr007.jpg?t=1255564499

Last edited:
Back