Texas hog/ram hunt info request

NdIndy

Not too sure where to put this, so here it is. If it's located in the wrong spot, mods please move it.

I know there are quite a few folks from texas on this forum so I'm hoping for a little insight.

Anyway I'm looking into doing a ram and hog hunt in texas in the near'ish future but don't really know what to expect. The only time I went out of state and paid to hunt was a hog hunt in OK. Dissapointing to say the least. Over a week of hard hunting and we saw 1 pig out of the 100 or so a day we were told to expect. Not to say he tasted bad, but for what that pig ended up costing the 2 of us, we should have bought a cow and filled the freezer.

I don't usually have the luxury of doing something like this, so I'm looking to avoid a similar experience. That and a 40 hour round trip kind of sucks if things go badly in the middle. The place I'm looking at right now is called Raby's hunting (.com) He advertises a combo hunt of a corsican ram and unlimited hogs for $550. I've been reading some other forums and found lots of places people say to avoid, but can't find anything on this place.

Beyond that, from what I've read I'm guessing a corsican is some kind of ranch created hybrid. Any idea what one tastes like, or any other advice on the topic?

I'm headin down to Dos Plumas Ranch a week from today.
Never been to this place, I'll let ya know how it goes.
Scott

I have shot a couple of corsicans and didn't much like the meat. Mine were bowhunts back in the 90's at Thompson Temple's
near Kerrville. I don't think I'd drive 20 hrs for a sheep unless it was for free ranging aoudad. Hogs, you can find them just about everywhere in the state now. You might look in the Panhandle areas of Texas. Lots of hogs and it would save you a bunch of driving down in to the state.

I'm looking at it more the for the 'different' hunt and trophy. I've been doing deer/antelope/elk for so long, it's just not that interesting. Well, it is, but it isn't if you know what i mean. I know most if not all of the rams aren't exactly local wildlife, but an easy'ish hunt and some pigs would be a pretty decent break from work. And I get all the challenge I need out of bow hunting antelope and trying to find an elk each year. I haven't dropped in elk in 7 or 8 years. It's really turned into nothing but work.

I've found all sorts of ram that can be hunted, but budget is a little tight for the trip so a $3k animal isn't going to cut it
smile.gif
Finding a place is kind of a pain, I'm not exactly local so I'm relying a lot on what I can read. Being a paid hunt makes it more difficult. Ideally I'd find out I have an uncle or something in TX that wants a bunch of animals cleared off his ranch, but I'm not holding my breath
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Last March I went on an Aoudad/feral hog/coyote hunting trip to the Tule Ranch in the Palo Duro Canyon of West Texas. Good hunt! Plenty of hogs and I got my Aoudad. Very enjoyable, fairly reasonably priced, the Carpenters are good hosts. Have to find your own lodging (nice cabins in Silverton) and supply your own meals so costs are kept down. www.tuleranch.com

Aoudad are one of my favorites. They are getting very pricey nowdays. The Trans Pecos area holds some huge aoudad and hogs are out there too. It would be one of the toughest hunts you will ever go on.

Do a look around for blackbuck. Now that is a pretty tasty little critter and can be a very challenging hunt. Makes a beautiful mount too.

I don't know who guided you on your Okla hunt and am sorry that you feel you were ripped off. I happen to live in far south central OK. I live adjacent to a 7500+ acre WMA (Wildlife Managemnet Area). There are lots of hogs in this area in fact (The Game Dept has been shooting them from helicopters at landowners request)they are so plentiful. Landowners routinely spotlight them off their fields at night.
The only license needed is a state hunting license and there is no limit or special license needed.(NOTE: This is NOT hog hunting under a feeder from the comfort of a blind) If you are willing to get into the river breaks and sloughs and work for your hog you will find what you are looking for. Also this time of year the farmers are planting winter pastures mainly wheat ryegrass and clover/oats and a proven way to score is to locate a trail coming off the WMA onto a planted field and ambush them coming and going. If you are interested in a hunt like this I would be happy to show you around free of charge. Of course lodging and meals would be your responsibility as well as your expenses. PM me if interested.

That might be in the cards, [beeep] of an offer. How is Feb/march for pigs?

The Ok hunt was unguided, but after a few days we got the guy with the lease out with us. "Where are all the pigs?" That was him asking us :rolleyes: And the 1 we did see we almost ran over, jumped out in front of us when we were moving from 1 way to the other on ATVs. He didn't stand much of a chance after that. My .444 is a BEAST
laugh.gif

I don't expect to shoot 100 animals, and I don't mind working for a hunt. But there's a lower limit, and it's over 1
smile.gif

To top it off we got a F'in blizzard for the trip back. OK to WY at 30mph.

Ok, enough whining now
smile.gif

I have talked to him several times through email and I believe me and my dad will be setting up a trip before the year is out. He really wants to kill some hogs but is not able to walk as good or as far as he once could. He has never got to hunt a hog. I want to take him on a TX hunt because I want him to have a good shot at taking a hog. Me and him have never hunted together and since his heart attack a few years back while in his police car we have become more and more close everyday. I think it would be a fun hunt for us.

The Raby guy? Definitely let me know how it goes and how he is. Seems like his prices jump every other day though. I want to be drop a ram, so he's in contention.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I was a cop for about a decade and left it behind to pursue the more dangerous career of real estate. You learn early on that cops die from 1 of 3 things and heart disease is one of them. Glad he pulled through it.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyThe Raby guy? Definitely let me know how it goes and how he is. Seems like his prices jump every other day though. I want to be drop a ram, so he's in contention.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I was a cop for about a decade and left it behind to pursue the more dangerous career of real estate. You learn early on that cops die from 1 of 3 things and heart disease is one of them. Glad he pulled through it.

Yeah, im a Real Estate Appraiser. Crazy market right now.

If we end up choosing him I will def. let you know how it is. I like his site says about unlimited hogs. Im just hoping that there are plenty to shoot.

Back