nc coyote hunters?

deputy116

wanting to learn a few tricks of the trade from n.c. coyote hunters. i'm having some problems calling in coyotes...not sure what the problem is ...any suggestions would be appreciated

Hey welcome to Predator Masters! My advice to learn is to pull up a chair, get comfortable and start reading here as much as you can stand and then repeat the process...Then go out to the field and learn from it...It would be nice if you could hook up with somebody on here close to you to where you could go out and learn a few things...We have some Tarheels on here maybe they will chime in....Glad to have you deputy!....Chad

chad is right, just get comfortable and read read read! thats what i did, and its working for me so far! o and by the way if u have any questions talk to chad(mcwalk), tony tebbe, man there are so many poeple that are great guys and know their stuff i cant name them all, but chad and tony are GREAT GREAT GREAT GUYS! they will put u on the right track and help w/ whatever they can(just like for me)

thanks guys for the advice...i've gone out on several stands over the past year, had alot of fun calling, or trying to call, but never connected! i just got into coyote hunting about a year or so ago and have plenty of time and land to hunt on. i have an electronic caller and a few mouth calls ...just not doing something right...
b.t.w. i'm in hickory, catawba county approx. 40 min. north west of charlotte

Luke thanks for the comments bro but Im no pro by no means...Im still leaning myself....Ive hunted predators for almost 20 years and I still learn something every time I go out...
wink.gif
grin.gif
Deputy(Jamie) check out our Va hunt schedule at the top of this forum...I sent you a pm....

the most important thing on here is if you have any questions(no matter if you think it is dumb or not) dont be afraid to ask it! because i bet everyone on here may have had the same question at some point, and can answer you with knowlege from trial and errors of finding the answer to it!

Thanks 49...All these guys on here are good people...Ive met several people on here and they come to my house and we go hunting...I didnt know them from Adam but I do now...That says alot...
wink.gif

I think a team approach may be the best way to go. I've called several times over the last few years, and have yet to even see a coyote come to the call in daylight. I've had them come to the call at night, but we can't hunt at night. During the day, I had what sounded like a pack of coyotes coming in, only to get down wind and disappear. If I'd had a shotgunner about 75 yards down wind, he probably could have connected. BTW I'm in Granite Falls if you need a calling partner.
Jazzball

Hello and welcome from another NC hunter. I'm located down the road from you just southwest of Lincolnton.

As everyone else has said this is a great sight and you'll learn a lot by just reading. Lots of good folks here too and all are willing to share their experiences.

I've been calling coyotes for a couple years now and have done OK for this area. I like the challenge of using mouth calls but I'd also like to get an electronic caller later.
So far I've managed to kill a few, miss a few and have called in a dozen or so that I have seen. Even called in a black one a couple weeks ago but didn't get a shot. I'll give him a rest and try again in a few weeks.

The best thing that I've learned is to stay on a stand at least 45 minutes to an hour and I have stayed as long as 90 minutes. Just about all have showed up after 30 minutes.

One thing's for sure, coyotes are here in NC and there're just enough of them around to keep me going.

i have managed to obtain permission to hunt 4 different properties here in catawba county covering approx. 350 to 400 acres from farmers / property oweners who have had problem coyotes in the last several months. going this weekend to a location just got permission to hunt on to take a look at the area...haven't had alot of luck just yet, but i'm ready, willing and wanting to learn more about calling...don't think i need a whole lot of pointers on shooting but comments are always welcome...

Remember, no matter how good a shot you are be ready to shoot in any direction at anytime!

I've learned that the hard way and am still learning to expect the unexpected.

Deputy 116,
Glad to have more NC hunters on here. Believe me ...it is not as easy to hunt NC coyotes as it is to hunt those out west. I have a few farms in Yadkinville that I have permission to hunt. If you ever want to go just let me know.

houser , tyrod ...i appreciate it ....i'm looking forward to getting up with the guys on here to learn a little more about the coyotes in N.C.....,keep in touch

Back