Reloading for the R-15 in .204 RUGER.. Need what ur COAL is?

drakeky

I am reloading for a Remmy R-15 in .204 ruger.. I have loaded several loads so far with a COAL of 2.25- 2.26 on different loads. I have gotten some decent results but I think I can do better.. Just a question.. What are your guys COAL for the R-15 in .204..? Just checking..

Yeah because of the mag... I am loading them at 2.26 now... I just think that maybe it needs to be shorter. I have read a bunch about how some .204's like a jump to the lands.. I have reloaded for AR's for some time now just not the .204. I have tried several powders and bullets and am looking for that 1/2" 5 shot group like I am hearing about with this gun..

What bullets are you using? I have loaded some 32gn and 40gn noslers at 2.26 and some 35gn bergers also. I have not been able to try them yet as I am waiting on my new dtech upper to arrive. It shouldn't be much longer though.

I have some loaded up in all of the bullets you mention above including 39 grain sierra blitzkings... I have them all loaded at 2.26 and they all work just fine in my mags.. But the groups so far are so so.. 3 loads shot under an inch but I was just curious as to what others were using for the COAL... I have saw some where that someone was loading 32 vmax's at 2.24" COAL.. Just wondering if I need to try something like that and see what happens

Me and a buddy had one heck of a time getting a 204 to shoot. Tried 32 & 39gr Blitzkings, 35 Bergers, and three different powders before we found something that worked.

26.3 of Reloader 10x at just the published COL (2.250 I believe it is) with a 32gr bullet and finally, we were at 1/2" at 100 yards.

But we couldn't get Win powder to work, couldn't get H4895 to work. And lots of folks out there who were, seemed to be going way above the 'max load' figures for these powders... H4895 especially. This load if you check it, is a little below max I believe. 26.1 or 26.3. Rem 7 1/2 BR primers.

Drake, I think you are going to have to spend some time working out a load for that rifle... How many rounds down the tube?

Some barrels don't really start shooting until you have 80-100 rounds through them...

Most .204s do like a substantial jump and I have some pet loads that are a lot shorter than the magazine length...

I've tried a lot of powders over the years since the .204s came out, some showed promise that never came through and others worked well. My barrels don't seem to like the lighter bullets, shoot the 40gr V-Max pretty good, but really shine with the 39gr Sierras...Odd that 1 grain and a little different configuration would make that much difference...

Some of my loads were found by just dumb luck, and others cost a pretty penny to find....204s seem to be finicky worse than a high school girl...But once you find the right one, you'll love it..

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleDrake, I think you are going to have to spend some time working out a load for that rifle... How many rounds down the tube?

Some barrels don't really start shooting until you have 80-100 rounds through them...

Most .204s do like a substantial jump and I have some pet loads that are a lot shorter than the magazine length...

I've tried a lot of powders over the years since the .204s came out, some showed promise that never came through and others worked well. My barrels don't seem to like the lighter bullets, shoot the 40gr V-Max pretty good, but really shine with the 39gr Sierras...Odd that 1 grain and a little different configuration would make that much difference...

Some of my loads were found by just dumb luck, and others cost a pretty penny to find....204s seem to be finicky worse than a high school girl...But once you find the right one, you'll love it..

That is what I keep hearing Turtle... And I am working on it.. I do have a 40 grain Vmax load that is promising with benchmark from today... It shot 3 of the 5 shots into about 3/8" and then other two added in about 1" at 100 meters.. The last two that flew were the last 2 shots of the group.. Could have been me or could have been the warmer barrel. But I loaded up 10 of those same rounds tonight to try out this weekend... Looks really good though.. I want the 40 to shoot or the 39 sierras is what I really want to shoot. I have ordered me a Jard 2 lb. trigger too.. That should help a bunch. Right now I just have a RRA two stage that is nice but just a hair heavy for shooting nice, tiny groups. I can tell it is a stubborn gun to load for so far. I have many loads I have tried that will for sure work and be accurate. But I am particular and I want those 1/2" - 5/8" groups I know the .204 is capable of producing consistantly. By the way the gun probably has 75 rounds down the tube or so.. Not near enough yet..

Back