new to reloading and lookin for some insight

hillbillie82

i have a ruger m77 .243 win. with an after market floated bull barrel that my grandfather left me when he died.

i decided to start reloading for it so i went and got the hornady 7th edition to learn about reloading and different loads. i saw what the max. c.o.l. was and read that most guns have greater accuracy when the bullet is set just touching or just off of the lands. so i loaded a dummy round to the max. c.o.l and colored the bullet with a black sharpie, then chambered it and when i ejected it the lands had rubbed the marker off where they touched.

max. c.o.l. is 2.710

my question is this, the marks left on the bullet were about a 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch long is this seated in too far.

i backed off and set one a 2.70 and 2.685 the 2.70 was still showing the lands and the 2.685 was off (no markings) what are some opinions?

Try taking a sized case and slice the neck squeeze it so it will hold the bullet, Chamber the round a few times and you should get a pretty good average to what your COL should be. Good luck.

thanks for the info i read that touching the lands can lead to high pressure and then the max c.o.l had the bullet touching the lands and was confused as to why both of these things would be in the same book.

but after having one of those moments where you just want to smack yourself in the forehead i thought maybe its because i was using hornady specs. and sierra bullets to make the dummy rounds.

maybe the ogive is just that different i dont know.

im not loading any live rounds just yet im just tryin to get a feel for every thing
crazy.gif

Are you sure you are not looking at minimum coal. Loading too short can up
pressures. Maximum lengths are for magazine fit and feeding.

nah big wheeler it is the max

i am new to reloading and it just seems like the bullet is into the lands in the barrel to far and it says earlier in the same manual i got this data from that the bullet touching the lands could cause excess pressure

Actual pressure barrel testing has shown that having bullets closer to the lands is just as likely to lower pressure as to raise pressure. There is no way to predict the result one way or the other.

Jack

Thought I'd pass along a little info that might be of some help to you. I am also relatively new to reloading. I posted a question under "Reducing Bullet Jump" and got some real useful info from the good folks up here. You might want to read some of the comments and suggestions that were posted as they may offer you some assistance. I have a couple Ruger M77's also and I don't know about your particular rifle given the barrel isn't stock, but both of mine have rather generous "bullet jump", yet are very accurate with groups consistently at or under 3/4" @ 100 yds.

You certainly can see a difference in the ogive of the Sierra versus Hornady bullets.

I suggest you invest in a bullet comparator. Either a hex style from Sinclair or the micrometer mount type like the Stoney Point. Knowing where the bullet engagement takes place on your rifle and where that is on different bullets, then keeping good records on your group results will help you find a great combo in tune with your gun.

I shoot benchrest and we typically jam bullets into the lands, but every so often some barrels want minimal jump. It is really a matter of harmonics and finding the accurate combination can be done with not only bullet depth but the charge of powder as well.

Needless to say, jamming bullets in a hunting rifle is undesirable. Mainly due to the possibility of the bullet staying in the lands / chamber and the case coming out upon unloading leaving your rifle action and trigger full of powder.

Originally Posted By: SighterYou certainly can see a difference in the ogive of the Sierra versus Hornady bullets.

I suggest you invest in a bullet comparator. Either a hex style from Sinclair or the micrometer mount type like the Stoney Point. Knowing where the bullet engagement takes place on your rifle and where that is on different bullets, then keeping good records on your group results will help you find a great combo in tune with your gun.

I shoot benchrest and we typically jam bullets into the lands, but every so often some barrels want minimal jump. It is really a matter of harmonics and finding the accurate combination can be done with not only bullet depth but the charge of powder as well.

Very well said.

DAB

Needless to say, jamming bullets in a hunting rifle is undesirable. Mainly due to the possibility of the bullet staying in the lands / chamber and the case coming out upon unloading leaving your rifle action and trigger full of powder.

Took your suggestion which the same as I'd received from others on this site. Until the COmparator arrives, I tried out the Hornady Lock n Load device that arrived yesterday. Using that device I got a measurement of .080 which to me is unreal. But I guess it can't be too bad because of the decent grouping at 100 yds. I think I'm learning first hand long guns are as temperamental as women in liking certain things, ie. bullets, loades, powders, OAL, etc. But thx again for advice.

Back