Spotting Scopes needing input.

Redge

I am wanting to buy a new spotting scope. I don't mind spending 300-600. I am thinking 15 x 45x60 or so. Every spotting scope I have had in the past just wouldn't really focus well in the upper end of the range ie 30-45 power. Can anybody give me their input or personal use opinion?

I have a Vortex Skyline Spotting scope. It is awesome. I have used it elk hunting a lot more than I have at the range. But I think if you look around and read some reviews you will see that Vortex makes a very good product. They have a very impressive warranty and there glass is top notch for the money. It will also fit your budget.

I'll chime in for vortex too in that price range. Unfortunately it takes about
1500.00 to get into good spotting scopes. You really see it in the upper magnifications too. Put some paper with 1/2" type on it and start setting
it out further and further. If you can read it at 300 then you should be able
to see 22 holes at 300 yards. I take a range finder to the stores when I go
glass shopping. Take your time with the one you settle on and make sure it
will do what you need it to before you buy it.

Daisy Thanks for the input!

BigWheeler I really would like one of the higher end scopes but I sure hate to part with the money.

Jack do you know why the fixed power gives better resolution? I have always been the curious type!

I just went thru this last year. When it comes to optics such as binos and spotting scopes check the reviews on the bird watching sites. They do some really in depth reviews on scopes. The vortex scopes did get decent reviews. I ended up buying a bushnell elite 20-60 x 80mm. I bought it on ebay for about 400.00 which is a really good deal. They retail for over 1100.00. You won't have to pay any where near that though if you do some looking. They say the scopes with the straight eye pieces are brighter.

"Jack do you know why the fixed power gives better resolution? I have always been the curious type!"

Probably because there are less lenses involved and they are securely mounted.

Jack

When I bought a new spotter last summer, I got it with a fixed 30x eyepiece for the reason mentioned above by Jack. My previous spotter had a variable eye piece and I didn't like the image it delivered. I sold that spotter and bought a new one.
The image of my new one is beyond great...

redge...one thing to keep in mind is that optic improvements occur almost yearly...coatings,lens construction,etc...i hav 2...a B&L 15-45 & Swaro 20x60-80....purchased in 1998 & 2003...then Swaro brings out a new coating....aaagh...
what ya buy today will seem flat in a couple years and as you age your eyes will seem to get older still...
don't forget to get a quality tripod also...it does matter.

Last edited:
Back