hunting coyotes using a suppressor

okoyote

Anyone care to share experiences hunting varmints with a suppressor? I'm very interested in getting one and would like some input. Should I get a .308 to cover everything or stick with the .224 for the varmint rifles?

Legal in VA - I have a suppressor for my AR but even though it will reduce noise at the muzzle, the sonic noise of the bullet is still there. May make a difference but nothing special unless you get under 1000 fps.

Some of these things like CCW permits. . . suppressors. . and the like need to be made use of by the people that can legally do so to keep the laws relevant. I try to encourage anyone I know to get their CCW even if they don't plan on carrying for that reason.

I have a M496D by Gemtech, it uses a bi lock adapter(looks like a A2 flash hider with a couple prongs on the side) I installed a bi lock on my 10/22 barrel and my ruger mk II barrel and can use the supressor on all 3. While its a bit large for a .22lr supressor it beats the cost of multiple tax stamps.

has alot to do with who made it too, some are alot better then others, but the really good ones come with a big price tag

That is pretty cool. I didnt know it was legal anywhere to use.

A good suppressor will make your rifle sound like a light .22 round going off. It just makes it nicer to shoot. You dont have to worry about ear protection or disturb the people around you.

Practically speaking - why would a suppressor not be legal to hunt with? All it does is make your shots quieter. Are hunters obligated to shoot loud guns?

Originally Posted By: va_kenPractically speaking - why would a suppressor not be legal to hunt with? All it does is make your shots quieter. Are hunters obligated to shoot loud guns?

The government thinks so.

Even in coutries with way radical firearms laws, they are allowed to hunt with supressors.

Congress watched way too many gangster movies about mob hits with revolvers using silencers when they pass ignorant laws that they know nothing about.
mad.gif

I was at a Varmint Silhouette shoot three weeks ago and a guy was shooting an R15 with one. I had never been around a Supressor before and was surprised at how much it cut the sound down. As said above it sounded just like a 22.

I have a buddy that is trying to get me to buy one, he has two now and is quite enamored. I think a coyote rifle with a suppressor would be pretty cool. The sonic crack is projected away from the shooter so the coyote hears it away from you (so I have been told) which may make it easier to double up. I just need to save up the bucks. He recommends Major Malfunction for purchase, who will also walk you thru the buying process.

All my buddies that have seen my suppressors have also bought them. There is not much to a purchase (other than a long wait) if you can follow simple directions and fill out a government form. Just prepare to ignore all the internet lore that will caution you about opening yourself up to everything from government searches to anything else these "experts" will say they think you will believe. And rockinbar is correct when he says the law makers watched too many gangster movies when they used suppressors on their revolvers!

I've been reading for several years, but I seldom post. I thought I would add my two cents about suppressors. I bought one (a gemtech 22 caliber) as I had never seen one nor knew anyone that did. After quite a bit of experimenting, I have come to these conclusions.
1) it is absolutely rediculous they are so controlled
2) in Wyoming it is illegal to go afield with it for any reason other than target shooting. Accoring to federal law the suppressor has to be in your possession only and with your paperwork. Your buddy can't borrow it, and if got caught by a barney fife without your paperwork, it is a federal offense.
3) it is large enough it makes most guns relatively unhandy
4) Accuracy is quite good with it, but my point of impact shifts enough when I put it on (on three guns) that I can't really target shoot with it, and then take it off to go hunting.
5) With 22 subsonics the firing pin falling is louder than the report (the sound and ballistics are about like a pellet gun). On normal 22's it is quiter, but not enough to warrant the extra length and weight. On 223, 22-250, and 22 swift, it still rings my ears.
6) After a bunch of fooling around it now sits in a drawer and serves mostly as a conversation piece or to show someone that has never seen one.
I encourage you to exercise your rights and purchase one. I just didn't want you to be overly optimistic of their capabilities and dissapointed in your purchase.

I asked a game warden here in town and he told me if you can shoot with it you can hunt with it. He said there are no special rules as far as hunting with them.

I was at a customers house the other day, 2 weeks, and he showed me his .22 that had a silencer throughout the barrel. I think he called it intagrated? That thing was quiet. He let me shoot it and all you could here was the slide moving back to cycle another round.
I have been droooling since.

I have talked to another gentleman who owns 4 of them. On his M-4, he said all you can hear is the slide.

I am trying to save the money right now and have been there several times, but some other toys always temp me along the way.

Back