Predator Hunters Dream Come True (must read w/pics)

SnakeFarm250

While I sit here writing this, it still seems like it was all just a dream. This past weekend I went deer hunting with my best friend just like I do every year. But this trip to his lease in Terrell county Texas was much different then any previous trip has been and most likely will ever be. After my buddy harvested a beautiful Pope&Young 10 point saturday morning we felt the weekend couldn't get much better, little did we know what would happen later that night. Although I love deer hunting, predator hunting is my passion and with that in mind I had loaded my calls and gun before making the trip. After Saturday evening's deer hunt we decided to make a couple calls before going to bed. This deer lease is bowhunting only until December for deer(the lease members made this rule it is not state law). After I suggested to go call my buddy said "Fine, but you have to use your bow". I said whatever it takes and we drove to a familiar area where we have called before. After gettin situated in the back of the truck I sat my E-call on top of the truck and turned it on, it blinked low battery and died instantly. There were four guys in the back of the truck, 3 that had called many times and 1 who was out on his first ever night hunt. Cameron was running the camera, Nick was running the light, and I was forced to call and shoot. As I began calling I figured we would be lucky to get a predator into bow range, much less shoot it but we had to try. After just two minutes of calling Nick(light man) tapped me on the shoulder and that meant only one thing, something was coming in. I gave him the call and picked up my bow ready to shoot whatever stepped out. I heard Nick whisper, "Its a cat, It's a cat!" The adrenaline began to flow as I thought how awesome it would be to shoot a bobcat with a bow on camera. We lost the eyes in the brush and Nick quickly panned the light back and forth until we saw a cat step out at 10yds. Nick's voice cracked as he said "It's a lion!" I quickly came to full draw, but just before I shot it turned back into the brush leaving me at full draw. Cameron whispered get the gun. The gun was unloaded and in the front seat of the truck. I hopped out of the truck as a chill went down my back and scrambled to load the gun and climb back into the back of the truck. At this point the cat had made it to 75yds and was in the thickest brush you have ever seen. Nick continued to call for 45min and the cat finally came 5 ft closer. I rested the 22-250 on Nick's shoulder and found the glowing eyes in the light. Nick said "you better shoot he has had enough." Putting the crosshairs between the eyes I tried to get steady for the most important shot of my life. As the crack of the rifle echoed up and down the river I thought I heard the smack that every hunter hopes for. Me and Nick walked into the brush armed with a 9mm and a tiny hat light, and we were both nervous as heck. The bruch was so thick we couldn't see 3yds infront of us. We finally saw hair and a long tail and the celebration began. This is the female cat shot right in the eye. I cannot begin to express how greatful and excited I am right now. I am 23yrs old and have come to the realization that there is a good chance I will never see, much less shoot a mountain lion again. Enjoy guys!
Me, Cameron, and Nick L to R
Lion031.jpg

Lion034.jpg

Lion044.jpg

[video:youtube][/video]

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What gives? A new member shows up shoots a lion? Might as well pack it in now snakefarm, it's all down hill for you, lol. CONGRATS, you have acheived what we all strive for. That was a nice story and some nice pics.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

gonzaga

Great story and pics.... Congratulations!!!

You are going to be at the hunt in Las Cruces to demonstrate your call.... Right???

We all need that kind of help..
blush.gif

Back