My cousins first coyote. Help me ID this track.

12Ring

I took my cousin out Saturday for some calling. He has been out a time or two before, and has seen a few but never had a chance to shoot at one. He told me he had a 12 gauge and a 17 hmr. I told him to bring the gauge and leave the hmr home. My only other gun that I know was sighted in, was my 300 weatherby mag so I let him use that.

We had some dry stands on a perfect morning so I was getting a little bummed out. Then about 11:30 we set up on a spot that looked great, tucked our selves up against some tall cactus and I set the fury out about 60yds out with a right to left wind. At ten minutes of some rabbit distress this pretty good sized female came trotting in.

I told my cousin to take her so he tried using his mouse squeaker to stop her but she just turned and starting coming right at him. He shot her on the trot at 80 yds. She did a front flip and never budged again. Huge exit as you might have thought using the 300, but he has his first coyote.
oct2009145.jpg

This is our view of the set up.
oct2009140.jpg

And this is the track I need help with. I have been told so far that it is a coyote. What do you think. The bullet is a 243 for size reference.
oct2009148.jpg

oct2009149.jpg

Nice pooch! My screen resolution sucks but if there arent any claw marks I would say that is a cat of one type or another. That is the way to get get newer hunters hooked great job guys.

I think it is an old weathered coyote (dog) track. The rear lobes are spread out further than a cat would normally be and if you look close your can see what was probably claw marks on the two left toes.

YMMV

bob

weathered coyote tracks just as bob r stated.....we had an incident here locally in PA with similar tracks near a popular hunting spot/watering hole where the pics got out and started the whole mountain lion debate again.... these two guys set up their trail cam for two weeks got a ton of yote pics marked the tracks they made and let them go for about a week and a half and the tracks turned out like the tracks that were originally spotted......i seen these tracks in person and they closely resemble the ones in your pic

Bees

On the track. the pad position to the toe position doesnt fit a coyote. The pad is too far forward in relation to the toe prints to be a coyote. Could be a cat, but I think there is a nail print. My guess is dog.

I don't think it's a coyote, a dog, or a cat. I don't see the normal "X" you see in a canine track. The mud could be screwing that up.

So, in my professional opinion...I don't know.

Good going. Hard to say on the track but I would also have to say a weathered coyote or dog track. If I remember correctly cat tracks will show three lobes on the lower pad and dogs show two as you see in this one. Also looks like there was claw marks on the left two toes at one time. I just seen MCWALK picture of a cat track and just remembered that a cats two middle toes are uneven. One sticks out slightly farher than the other while a dogs are are straight across at the tip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cathntr I just seen MCWALK picture of a cat track and just remembered that a cats two middle toes are uneven. One sticks out slightly farher than the other while a dogs are are straight across at the tip.

You have a good point....
wink.gif
Oh yea I meant to say dog or coyote track...
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Back