need help in the UP

MYounger

i am currently a student at Michigan Tech University in Houghton and am looking for some places to go hunting. I'm looking for areas to hunt partridge, ducks, geese, maybe some deer, pretty much anything anyone can help me with. I know a lot of places around Baraga but have not found to many places yet. A buddy did contact the dnr, but they just give us maps to look at. Any help would be great. Thanks

There are some hunters here from that area. Maybe they will jump in and help you out. Perhaps you can find someone local in your classes that hunts. MI VHNTR

See if you can find a county tax database online. Many counties and boroughs have them. Once you find it, there is typically a GIS/Map system that will allow you to search land and owners. Find an area that looks good and track down the owner to see if they'll give you permission to hunt their property. If you call or go to their house in a professional way and explain your situation, they'll probably be happy to let you hunt. Tell them your background in hunting safety and such to make them feel comfortable about the person who might be on their land. Get it in writing too, in case DNR or some neighbor catches you out there and you won't have to walk back to the owners house in the middle of a hunt. Hope that helps some.

Your local County Recorder's Office in the County's Courthouse. Should have "Platt Books" for sale, generally around $15.00. A platt book, shows privately owned land & it's owner's adress & phone number.

You can also do a quick [satellite] search on, "Terraserver" web site of any county in your state.

However it is best, to go meet the landowner in person. To introduce yourself & ask them permission to hunt.

Last edited:
the platt books is the best idea they also show the state land and i dont know about the western up but their is tons of public land in the eastern up to hunt

Back