Millet Scope Rings

Originally Posted By: TnslimI've got two sets and no problems. I used the Wheeler alignment tool and then lapped the angle-lock rings. No marks so far.

Same here.
I've used a bunch of them and I've never marked a scope. Align them correctly, lap them a little, and put a little strip of blue painter's masking tape inside both halves and they are good solid rings.
I don't use them anymore because I've found rings I like better and are easier to set up.

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802Originally Posted By: dan newberryI thought someone might have saved me the trouble and would have stated the obvious by now... but I guess I'll have to type.
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

I call the Millett Angle-Lock rings "Mangle" locks... because they will mangle your scope.

Here's why:

Each ring will drift side to side depending on the amount you have the rail mounting screws turned in. Millett claims this is some sort of "built in" windage compensation capability.

However, when you drift the front ring lateral of the rear ring (or vice versa) the scope tube actually bends a few thousandths of an inch one way or the other. Think about it this way: If you drift the rear ring to one side or the other... the front ring stays firm in position. It does not swivel like a Redfield/Leupold front mount to allow the ring saddles to line up!

So you end up literally bending the scope tube one way or the other as you tighten the "mangle" lock rings.

The only way to avoid this is the run the rail mounting screws all the way in on one side (same side on both the front and rear rings), then tighten the rings to the Weaver rail using the opposing screws... then hope there is no manufacturing error in the sizing of the rings, so your scope tube remains linear.

So again... since these rings slide left to right in the notch in the Weaver base, they can and will get off axis with each other, causing the scope tube to be stressed significantly as you tighten all the screws down. The pressure will be highest in the diagonally opposing corners of the ring saddles... i.e. the front left edge of the ring and the rear right edge of the ring will "dig in" to the scope tube.

I would avoid the mangle locks.
smile.gif

Dan

Dan nailed it. His analysis is spot on!!!
The angle locks are the rings I was referring to. They are junk, in the fullest meaning of the word junk too.

And I'm betting that fw707's analysis "is spot on!!!"

Read the mounting directions and like fw707 stated, align them correctly, and they actually work quite well. If you take short cuts, they probably won't work very well.

-BCB

JMO - BCB

So do you use Millet's suggestion for windage alignments with these rings? Millett says these rings are "windage adjustable."

(yes/no answer required!)
laugh.gif

If you follow the windage adjustment part of their instructions, you'll end up with the scenario I wrote about...

So long as you use them as you describe, you can get away with it... (which I mentioned in my original post).

But the question then becomes: Why pay the extra money for the mangle locks' "windage adjustable" feature?

Dan

Originally Posted By: dan newberrySo do you use Millet's suggestion for windage alignments with these rings? Millett says these rings are "windage adjustable."

(yes/no answer required!)
laugh.gif

If you follow the windage adjustment part of their instructions, you'll end up with the scenario I wrote about...

So long as you use them as you describe, you can get away with it... (which I mentioned in my original post).

But the question then becomes: Why pay the extra money for the mangle locks' "windage adjustable" feature?

Dan

The answer is NO!
grin.gif

I started using them several years ago because their tip off rings fit the grooves on an Anschutz .22 better than the 3/8" tip off mounts.
I guess if you moved both rings equally left or right, and kept them ALIGNED with each other, you could get some windage adjustment without damaging the scope. But moving only the front or rear ring in an effort to change windage would kink the scope.
Leupold bases will do the same thing if the rear ring is moved far enough out of alignment with the front turn-in ring, because the rear ring does not pivot and is still parallel to the bore of the gun.
In my opinion, the only way rings would be "windage adjustable" without possible damage to a scope would be for the actual point of attachment of the front or rear ring to move left or right and align with the other ring, and both rings would need to turn like the front turn-in Leupold ring.

Just my opinions. I'm not an engineer!
laugh.gif

Last edited:

And, to repeat what I said earlier:

Originally Posted By: fw707I don't use them anymore because I've found rings I like better and are easier to set up.

grin.gif

Dan:

Again what fw707 said. Including the Leupold, Redfield (and Millet turn in rings) comments concerning windage...

I'm sure you understood that the "get them aligned properly" part of what was said about the Angle Lock rings eliminated the movement of one or both rings for windage, etc. after proper alignment.

Think for yourself.... Don't believe everything you read in instructions. Only believe what make good sense. That's not difficult, even for a non-engineer.

And those comments apply to turn in rings as well as Millet's Angle Lock rings. Moving one ring alone will cause scope bending. And without the use of an alignment rod, any set of scope rings can be kinked in relation to each other after being mounted.

That's why used scopes are regularly marketed/advertised "with ring marks". The rings were not aligned properly because:

1. The installer didn't realize the importance of ring alignment even if manually possible with the rings.

2. Or maybe the rings were like Ruger rings and can't be aligned without considerable lapping.

Years ago Redfield instructions told us to turn the front ring in and out by using the scope as a lever to turn the ring. Most folks beyond the second grade never bought that instruction either.

No matter what rings you use, if you try to place a straight scope in crooked rings, you're going to have problems if you have metal to metal contact. "Proper alignment" of the rings is always a required part of mounting a scope.

Sheesh....

-BCB

For the record... the Redfield windage adjustable rear base (same as Leupold, but Redfield invented it), swings in an arc and it will not bend the scope tube. That's the reason the rear windage adjustable ring base and screw heads are shaped as they are.

Also... moving both Mangle-locks to the side simultaneously will not effect a windage adjustment. The scope will still be parallel to its previous position.

Dan

Back