Use of RANGEFINDERS on Coyotes!

coplexic220

Hey all,

I have considered using a rangerfinder on coyotes for a few years now. With the great improvements over the years I am considering it a good choice now. But wanted to get some input from this informative board.

I have watched a few predator videos that show the callers using Lazer Rangefinders to range the dogs before they shoot. I only see the usability on those dogs that stop short, hang-up, sit down and bark at you like you're a pud-in-a-rug. I am thinking the units would have problems reading a small target like a coyote at longe ranges. Anybody have thoughts on them.

Coplexic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well, I 've only taken my rangefinder out on 2 occasions so I'm not the best for good information. I have used it to kill two coyotes, both sat out there at 300+ yards and just wouldn't come any closer. Put the little red square on them and presto, instant yardage. The Leica works better than anything I've ever tested so would recommend it. Both dogs died.
I will only use it on those coyotes that just won't come in. Not much need for them when coyotes continue coming to the call.
Hope this helps.

If a coyote comes in and you can see it's color and outline good, it is probably close enough to shoot with the crosshairs on its vitals. I don't use a rangefinder in these situations because a flat shooting rifle will nail it where I put the crosshairs inside 200 yards. Using a rangefinder only adds to movement which can scare the dog before you get a shot.

If taking a greater than 200-yard shot, yes, a rangefinder can help show you where the crosshairs need to be. Move slowly, range it, and then get busy shooting before the yote leaves.

I own a Bushnell Yardage Pro 400. It has been working alright and gives accurate readings. Its downside is it "struggles" to range small targets past 300 yards. On the other hand, it has given readings on bright stuff 1000 yards away.

Have fun!

I will often take my range finder but I use it to range the areas around my stand prior to calling. I don't use it to range the animals due to it causing unneccessary movement. This way I know if I can make a clean kill or if any holdover is needed. Distances can be very deceiving when you are out in sage and the terrain all looks the same.

I'll own a range finder before my next hunt. Made two trips to Nebraska last month and on each trip I crippled a coyote that made it 300+ yards before sitting down to nurse their wounds. They should have been more concerned about immediate safety but a range finder would have taken some of the guess work out. I used to believe that range estimation was a hunting skill to be developed just like marksmanship. Something to be proud of. But when it comes to cripples, the human and sporting elements are out the window.
Randy

Welcome to the PM board Randy Shepard! You put forth some excellent thoughts. Thanks for the input--they echo my sentiments exactly.

There are several forums that have talked about all the different "range finders". So maybe I can help you a little here.

After a lot of testing the 2 laser range finders that seems to work the best for most people have been;
Leica 7x42 Geovid ($2500)
Leica 1200 model ($350-450)

I have been following the testing of just about all of these types range finders. The testing has been done by people like us and not by the manufactures. So a good evalation is then given for them.

I have had my Geovids for 5 years now and I am still using the same battery that came with the unit.

Like FALFire, I use mine when I first sit down at a stand. I take a look at the possible entry routes and check the yardage to points that may offer shots.

Good luck!
Sheldon

Thanks for the input!

I like the idea of ranging entry routes or even the maximum possible range that you would take a shot with a given rifle/shotgun and load combination. I do most of my hunting in wide open flat country where shots do get out there a long ways on those coyotes that saw you come in for yoru set. They still respond but hang up at 400 yards or so, pretty easy shot, but much easier knowing if it is actually 500 and not 400.

Thanks again,

Coplexic

I use my scope reticle for a range finder.
A coyote is appx. 10" top of back hair to bottom of chest hair. I put a 10" target out at 200 yards. I dial the scope power until the 10" target fits perfectly in the reticle and then mark the spot on the scope power ring, same at 300yds and 400yds.
Then when I have a coyote hang up way out there I fit him in the reticle and dial the power until he fits perfectly then I know the appx. yardage.
With practice you can do this in a few seconds, if you have a solid rest like a bipod.
I have had problems with the range finders taking consistent readings in the desert sagebrush.

Had a range finder for a while now but its not practical to use after you have started calling... range some points around your stand and then you know how far away he is when he gets there... leaves more time to shoot accurately.

I like the idea of using it to range your area to check yardage prior to calling. But for me, it's too much clutter to be carrying around.

Im in with checking selected points before I call, then put it away. I take mine everywhere, I have a yardage pro 400 also and I agree its an little lacking over 300 yds, but I cant afford a $1000 one either.so I may move up to bushnell 1000 but thats about it.. Just a poorboys view!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks guys, the more I think into this the more I believe it would be great for distancing entry routes but more importantly, finding that 400 yd or 500 yd ridge that may hang them up for a long sit and watch. I am pretty confident on my sub 400 yd shots, no problem there with a 220 Swift. Plus I agree, making it as simple in the field as possible makes for a more pleasurable trip.

You all have good input and did put me over the hump. I have a rangefinder on the way, unfortunately I am now off to a country that nobody really wants to be in at the moment for work, so using it will have to wait until I get back.

Thanks all,

Coplexic

Mike Granger is up for a week hunting. He has a Leica 1200. AWESOME

First day we had a pack of six hangup. Mike ranged them 384 yds. bang flop with the 223. Dead dog.
Today one hung at 400yds. bang flop.
We have used it plenty in the last 4 days. Sometimes it is hard to estimate distance over 200 yds. No more guess work. Next toy will be a rangefinder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Spot stalking coyotes and fox in IA I found that the 400 Bushnell doesn't always give a reading on a curled up animal. I don't always get a reading on rocks or clay banks either. I would like to get the Leicia to replace it. I have never gotten a reading on an object that was farther than 376 yards away. Big steel bins, sheds, stop signs.
It usually works good to find out how far the shot can be made before I start calling. It also works as a binoculars for quick looks at objects I'm not sure of or to see what the animal is looking at or up to.
Any more new info on which one is better?KY

I have a yardage pro 1000 and I use mine for deer hunting mostly,I have carried it with me when coyote hunting but I always leave it in the truck but I will eventully remember to take it along.The reason it gets left in the truck is I mostly hunt at night.It has worked well for me so far but if I was looking to buy one I would go with the Lecia 1200 cause it sells close to the same price as the bushnell 1000 and is better than the bushnell.good luck

I have used most of the Bushnells, and both affordable Leicas, and the Leicas have it over the older model Bushnells hands down. I think Bushnell has had a design modificatiion since i've used them tho, as a friend brought his 800 yd. Bushnell along last month, and it was keeping up with my 1200 Leica on everything we ranged off of, and duplicating the readings. I believe the rangefinders are the single greatest innovation ever for accurate long-range shot placement, and i'll turn the truck around to go back and get them, if i've forgotten them. The little Leica's fit easily into a BDU leg pocket, and they are worth their weight in gold for that coyote that hangs up waaay out there on a stand, or spot and stalk. I've killed the last 5 out of 6 coyotes I've ranged between 400 and 900 yds. Be careful tho-- you can hit coyotes farther than the effective range of the cartridge you're using. Bullet/velocity selection is very important here.

Back