Winter camo useless???

Tyler15

So im thinking about getting some winter camo but im wondering if it would be useless where I hunt. I will be hunting almost entirely in the woods and my thinking was that im going to stick out like a sore thumb up against a tree if im wearing white. Should i just wear regular camo in the woods during the winter?
What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Tyler

You are probably the best judge based on where you tend to sit. I like winter camo when snow is on the ground. If anything it will help when you walk in or out. I often wear just the coat if the area is not totally white.

Maybe try something white with a pattern on it, not just all white.It has worked for me for a long time. Cabelas has some and so does Kings camo.

I've decided that this year I'm going to wear my coat on the outside of my snow coveralls. The terrain is really flat, so I figure snow camo low where it will blend with the snow on the ground, regular camo up top to blend in with the back drop.

Originally Posted By: LeviSSI've decided that this year I'm going to wear my coat on the outside of my snow coveralls. The terrain is really flat, so I figure snow camo low where it will blend with the snow on the ground, regular camo up top to blend in with the back drop.

I do almost the same thing. I have all white bibs and a RT hardwoods snow camo parka. Usually sit on the ground so the legs blend good with the snow on the ground. The upper has just enough to break up the white blob in brush and not so much as to look like a dark blob in the fields.

B

I mix and match for the patchy stuff but go all white when it is all white (usually for 3 months). I will wear camo pants, have a cheap cotton poncho for over the top, use white home made gaiters, hat and face cover (fleece). When patchy I might wear the white hat and face cover and camo jacket. I feel it breaks up the size of the shooter.

If you are hunting hardwoods stick with conventional camo, especially if you are standing/leaning against a tree.

This has been my experience.

I went hunting in Wyoming two years ago and misjudged what camo to take. Worn winter whites with black and grey pattern (Skyline and Realtree winter with conventional urban camo pants). No snow as I expected. It didn't seem to make any difference to the dogs. They came right into me several times. I thought I stood out like a sore thumb and the photos look that way as well but I had no problem drawing in dogs.

One of the best and cheapest ways to come up with some snow camo is to use just a plain white bedsheet. If it doesn't seem like a good match for your environment, then you can either get a different color sheet, or just go for real camo. Bedsheets have always worked well for me. It may not be too classy, but it'll get you the same results as other camo.

Steven

Just go get one of those Tyvek type painting suits and paint on black tree truck/branch patterns that best match you thickness of woods that you hunt. May be just one stripe or a dozen, all depends on where you hunt. That's what I'd suggest.

Tony

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeJust go get one of those Tyvek type painting suits and paint on black tree truck/branch patterns that best match you thickness of woods that you hunt. May be just one stripe or a dozen, all depends on where you hunt. That's what I'd suggest.

Tony

you wouldn't suggest that Everywear West Snow Camo ???? LOL

grin.gif

I'd definately suggest the Everywear West Snow Camo. Heck, that's what I use!
smile.gif
I was just trying to help a brother out on a cheap solution.
grin.gif

Excellent photo t/c223encore. I had to follow the footsteps to find you in the pic.

Tony

Thanks for all the input guys! I was thinking about doing half. Wearing winter camo pants and a regular camo jacket but I think ill just get all winter camo. There is enough brush around where I can set up next to it to break up my outline.

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeExcellent photo t/c223encore. I had to follow the footsteps to find you in the pic.
Tony

I like to take pics so I can see for myself how my camo is workin.

t/c223encore.

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeI'd definately suggest the Everywear West Snow Camo. Heck, that's what I use!
smile.gif
I was just trying to help a brother out on a cheap solution.
grin.gif

Excellent photo t/c223encore. I had to follow the footsteps to find you in the pic.

Tony

+1 Me too

Originally Posted By: t/c223encore

I like to take pics so I can see for myself how my camo is workin.

t/c223encore.

What pattern is that? I remember you posting it before, but can't find the thread.

Back