22 250 for yotes

skinin_bonz

im shootin a savage 111 22 250 with 38g h380 55g nbt.
is this too hot for yotes? im not gonna sell fur,but i dont want a splash and lost dog. do i need to slow em down.

I have never had a "splash" with this setup. At least not on the impact side. I have had a splash on the bushes behind it though. It's kind of weird, but sometimes the bullet blows up inside without exiting, sometimes it blows a hole out the other side that you could poke your rifle through......

I don't think the load is too hot, but you may lose a pelt or two to it.

I wouldn't worry about runners. They will be DRT if you hit 'em good.

good . that was what i was wanting to hear.
i kinda like the splash your talking about. ijust keep hearing stories about hitting bone and stuff.
thanks for the info

Believe me. With that load, if you hit bone it will knock it out the other side.

I think it's a good choice.

I would have used it more, but my .22-250 liked 52 grain SMK's a lot better.

skin'n bonz...in hodgdon 2009 - 38.0 of H380 is their min load......in nosler#6 - it's .5 above their mid-range load....39.5 is nosler's max.

I could never get above 39.5 grains of H380 without sticky extracts. Never even close to the 41.0 max. Sneak up on it.

My 38.0 grain loads chronied at 3740 fps with Fed GM210M primers.

(26" barrel Savage 112 FV)

Originally Posted By: Chapped Lipsskin'n bonz...in hodgdon 2009 - 38.0 of H380 is their min load......in nosler#6 - it's .5 above their mid-range load....39.5 is nosler's max.
im using a buddys old book. if im under max that much,and still geting the accurcy i want. my barrel should last a good long time.
thanks everyone
Tony

Last edited:
Im shooting 53 gr HPBT out of my 250 with H380. Im at 38.5 grains and I couldnt get much higher. I think 39 was when they started getting sticky extractions. One thing that helped me was using Mag primers.

Originally Posted By: HelipilotmIm shooting 53 gr HPBT out of my 250 with H380. Im at 38.5 grains and I couldnt get much higher. I think 39 was when they started getting sticky extractions. One thing that helped me was using Mag primers.

What velocity are you getting with that load?

38gr of H380 is a middle of the road load as stated earlier but if it is accurate than there is no reason to push it. Enjoy.

Back