Barnes bullets 243

87predatorcontrol

I was wondering if anyone has used the 8g gr. tsx out of their rifle. I was thinking of using it for deer for my girlfriends first hunt, and then just keep using the bullet for long range coyotes. Any thoughts on this. And if yo have any other suggestions, please let me know.

I would have her use a 308, but my other one is getting a new stock, and some work done, and won't be done by deer season.
Thanks for your help.

I bought one box of these factory Federal 85gr TSX loads and will be trying them out in my new Tikka at the range tomorrow morning, but I don't think you could wrong with them personally -- if you can get them shooting good in your gun. These things are incredible on deer, no joke. I've heard of people even using the 53gr'ers in 222/223 and having instant kills. But in 243 I know first hand they'll get the job done. Just watch your background because they will likely punch through and keep going for a while.

Used the 85 grain barnes bullets for the first time last year. My nephew took his first buck with them during the youth hunt last year and I used them to bag my buck during the regular season. His was shot at around 80 yards mine was shot at about 15 yards. Bullet performed beautifully on both.
Good luck,
Tuco

A buddy shot a Muley buck at about 125yds, facing us. Buck dropped in his tracks. The 85gr TSX in 243Win went in the right side of the chest, through the right lung, the stomach, and I found a bullet hole in the intestines. I'm thinking about 25-30" of penetration!

You'll do fine with that bullet.

Thanks guys. I have used the barnes 150 gr. tsx for muleys in colorado out of my 308 but haven't chased anything big with the 243. I just wasn't sure if the 243 would have enogh knock down out to the 250 yard max i'm going to give her to shoot a doe.

Back