olympic arms k-16 ??

skeetlee

I have been thinking about a k-16 for over 4 months now but i can seem to bring myself to buy one. I keep hearing all these bad things about Olympic arms. I have owned one in the past but i never really got a chance to shoot the thing. I think i put less than 50 rounds through the one i had. Anyway most of you know i am not a huge AR fan, but i have been having these overwhelming desires to buy one. I dont want to spend an arm and a leg for one so i thought Oly would fit the bill. There again, every time i go looking and asking about them, i run into some negative info. I would like to here from some guys that have shot the heck out of them, or the guys that build them. What kind of accuracy will i get out of a stock Oly k-16 and is there still any real problems with these rifles? Thanks

Oly's main problem years back, was that that the mags wells were tight and wouldn't allow the mags to drop free. Not a big deal to a hunter but just the type of thing that could get someone in law enforcement killed. Their customer service was not that good back then and fit/finish wasn't the best either.
A good friend of mine has a k-16 and it's mags drop free, plus it's one heck of a good shooting rifle. I had one of their UM-1 and it is the best shooting AR I've ever owned. The one thing I dislike about Oly's guns though, the finish still isn't the best. For the most part, hunters seem to like them and law enforcement hate them. Which makes sense if you think about it.

Skeetlee,

It sounds like you’ve been spending too much time over on ARFcom. It’s pretty funny to listen to those clowns brag how much better their rifle is than an OLY only to find out that OLY probably made a lot of the parts that went into their rifle. These days it’s hard to find a bad AR15. Most if not all of the manufacturers (assemblers) buy a good majority of the parts outside and assemble them under their own name. There is nothing wrong with this as long as the parts they use are good quality, and they usually are. Olympic Arms is about the only one that manufactures nearly all of the components that go into their rifles. My personal experience says that OLY makes the best barrels in the business.
If you want an accurate rifle with a lifetime warranty, buy an OLY.
My 10+ year old Olympic Arms Ultra Match is still the most accurate rifle I own, easily shooting tighter groups than my Bushmaster Varminter. ½ groups with it are no problem. By the way, Bushmaster was buying their uppers from OLY when my Varminter was made. I also shoot an Olympic Arms 16” flat top. It has thinner barrel profile than the K16 and will shoot MOA all day long. Two good friends of mine that just got out of the Marines both purchased new K16’s. I recently got to play with one of them and it looks good and shot great! No problems whatsoever.
It’s about time you contracted the black rifle disease, you won’t regret it.

I have been bit my the black bug a few times, but i always heel up from it pretty quick. The are not my first choice in a rifle, but then again when i dont have one, i want one. Not sure what to do. Actually all the complaints that i read didnt say anything about tight mag wells. I do no that that is still an issue, as i heard that from a very reliable source. No big deal to me on that issue though. Anyone else? Lee

I had one that I loved, shot like a champ and never had any problems. Mine was a flattop with a heavy bull barrel. I sold that on the classifieds here a few months ago.
Prices seem to be coming back down and you may just get one to have, just in case.

I have two Olympic rifles as well as an extra k-16 upper that is on my main varmint gun. Priced right , great quality/warranty and dead nuts accurate.

OLY,OLY,OLY..oi,oi,oi!!!!!!! The second best rifle I own next to my 25WSSM from DTECH! The K-16 has been a tack driving S.O.B. I'v eshoot deer with it and predators and it has always been spot on and rock solid. I have over 1500 rounds through mine and haven't had a hic-up. AR-15.com kool-aid is stale. The curret Olympic Arms rocks.....price wasn't bad either
wink.gif

Trashcan
Death Card Calls

md1.jpg

deer1.jpg

2sm.jpg

Fox-2.jpg

pig1.jpg

mesquitekiller1.jpg

A long time ago Ford made a car called a Pinto. Occasionally when rear ended it would burst into flames. Ford quit building the Pinto a long time ago. If anybody is still upset about the Pinto, get a life and get over it.

I love my F350

Ford makes excellent trucks and OLY makes excellent rifles.
You won't be sorry.

Originally Posted By: skeetleeAre the lowers still tight in the mag well? Lee

Mine never was or has been. I use colt magazines and have never had a problem. I have run some cheapos that my brother uses in his through it and no complaints.

Trashcan
DCC

I have had my Oly PCR-3 for about 5 years now. It is a tackdriver. I have taken several coyotes, rabbits and crows with it and it is a real shooter. I am waiting on my Dtech .243 WSSM upper to arrive so I can put it on a new Oly lower with a ACE stock and JP trigger. You can't go wrong with an Oly. Great quality and excellent shooters.

blacksheep

I have had an oly K16 for several years. The gun works perfectly. I have shot all types of ammo through it. It
is an awsome gun. Infact I will put it over my Colt AR anyday. It shoots about .75 inch groups at 100 yds all day at the range.

One little thing that I did find out about Oly. They make parts for other AR15 companies. I would dare to say that almost all the other companies use some part made by Oly.
Ar15.com is a useful site for ar15 inofrmation. If you notice it seems to be a rat race for them to own the most expensive guns.

Not bagging on Oly at all (so don't take it that way), as they make some great shooting rifles. Like I said, my ultra match was the best shooting AR I've ever owned. I also agree that ar15.com is good for a lot of info, but like others have said, you need to sort though the BS. That said, the mag issue was real. Here's a link to the same forum as emsemt posted. The last two Oly's that I've shot did drop free and I would not have any proplem recommending Oly to my fellow hunters.

Oly mag wells

Even if you got an Oly with a non-beveled or tight mag well, they have a lifetime warranty and they'll fix it for you free of charge. They back their warranty up and stand behind their products.
You would think, if they were turning out junk, they would have gone bankrupt by now, eh?
I'm just sayin.

A K-16 is a pretty nice rifle, but I'd personally buy the Ultramatch with the SUM barrel. It's 1:10 twist, unless you order an alternate twist rate, and .920 diameter full length, so it's on the heavy side, but those barrels are pretty much a guranteed sub-MOA shooter.

Never said they were junk, so please don't put words in my mouth. All I said, is they have had some mag well issues. Their CS is better these days, but years back that wasn't always the case. I think it says a lot about them to make the improvement, not all companies would have.
I'm not one of these ar-15.com guys that states "Don't buy Oly" or "Oly sucks". I'm also not one of these Colt snobs either. I just tell it like it is and everything I have said about Oly is true. Both the good and the bad. If you don't think so, prove me wrong!

Like Evil said, the UM is the way to go, but for the price the K16 is hard to beat.

i think oly is getting a very good reputatoin nowadays, i have heard early ones had some parts that wernt interchangeble with other ars, the guy at my local sniper,law enforcement, shoot em up gunshop has a oly with roughly 15000 down the pipe without issues, i would think that would classify as a good gun didnt Mike M use the sum barrels on his customs ? Ron

I had a k-16 and it was as good as any AR out there and probably more accurate. They are definitely a bargain compared to other options.

Quote:didnt Mike M use the sum barrels on his customs ?

Yes, my D-Tech upper has a stock Oly SUM barrel that Mike fluted, on an Oly receiver that he trued the receiver face on.
I had an 20" Oly SS bull barrel prior to that and it was a tack driver, too.

this is my K16 with an upgraded ‘SUM’ (Stainless Ultra Match) barrel, so basically it would be considered to be an Oly-Arms™ ML-2 upper receiver … the carbine has been ultra reliable, and it’s much more accurate than I’ll ever be!
smile.gif

DSCN5480.jpg

Olympic Arms™ ML-2 … Specs and Upgrades

Upper Type: Forged Flat Top w/ Picatinny Rails
Front Sight: Gas block w/ Picatinny Rails
Handguard: Free floating Aluminum Tube w/ Knurling
Barrel: 16” Bull, (SUM) Ultra-Match 416 Stainless Steel
Chambering: .223 Remington, Minimum SAAMI Spec
Bore: Long-Life Non-Chromed Bore
Twist Rate: 1x8
Muzzle: Crown
Stock: Magpul™ CTR®