vortex, again

bluealtered

Here i go again, the first two vortex crosfires i had were junk. Well the vortex diamondback thats been only on my .243 for a couple months went south now. Yes the customer service is good, so there is a new one coming, it will get here next tuesday. Deer season starts this saturday, imagine that.

That makes it three for three with their products for me. Instead of coming out with a new line of $3,000 scopes, maybe they should consentrate on making the scopes they sell to working class people work. blue

Blue, Did the company offer any explanation as to the specific failures....You didn't elaborate on the specifics,,,

The reason I'm asking, is a person on another shooting forum was asking about the Vortex scopes and yours is the first negative thing I've read about them...

I posted a copy of your comments over on the other site, so he could have the information before making his purchase decision...

Hi OT, i did ask what the problem was, and was told it simply was a bad one. When i explained that the two crossfires were bad as well, the reply was "thats a crossfire". Not much help i know.

Ursus, i spent about $200 on each of the crossfires, and i'm $300 into the diamondback, why would i want to drop $5-600 on a viper when the first three scopes from this company were bad?

I can buy a 3200 elite for $300, and have a good workable scope. Yes i read all the great reviews on vortex, and maybe i was the guy who just happened to get the bad ones. I simply feel the the pm members should know, before they put their money down.blue

Originally Posted By: bluealteredHi OT, i did ask what the problem was, and was told it simply was a bad one. When i explained that the two crossfires were bad as well, the reply was "thats a crossfire". Not much help i know.

Ursus, i spent about $200 on each of the crossfires, and i'm $300 into the diamondback, why would i want to drop $5-600 on a viper when the first three scopes from this company were bad?

I can buy a 3200 elite for $300, and have a good workable scope. Yes i read all the great reviews on vortex, and maybe i was the guy who just happened to get the bad ones. I simply feel the the pm members should know, before they put their money down.blue
From where I come from Crossfires run around 120-130 bucks and Diamondbacks are about 200 bucks. You are paying way too much. I haven't had any problems with my Diamondback in fact I really like it for a hunting scope. Dave

I absolutely love all the Vortex optics that I have. I have had to send a spotting scope back, but it was my fault, dropped it on an elk hunt and broke in half. No questions asked they sent me a new one. This is one of the first complaints I have ever read about Vortex. I just ordered a 4-12X40 Diamondback and it was $200, from the Vortex website.
Sorry about your luck.

I don't think anyone can fault Blue for going with another scope company after three scopes. Doesn't matter how good the CS is. I do really like the Viper but if I was in his shoes, I probably won't give them anymore money either.
I was looking into picking up the Vortex line and bought a couple to see if they were as good as the hype. I was really impressed with the Viper, but not so much with the Crossfire. I didn't get a Diamondback. I did some up and down tracking tests with the Viper and Crossfire, as well as the "box test" with both scopes. The viper did good, but the Crossfire was flat out terrible. Glass wise, I would say the Viper is better then the Monarch and on par with the VXIII. It might even be a little better but I didn't compare them side by side, so it's hard to say. Far as the Crossfire goes, it's better then BSA!:eek: I could be wrong, but I think the Viper is made in Japan, by LOW. LOW does a very good job! The Crossfire on the other hand, is made in china. Not trying to make anyone mad by this, just passing along what I know about Vortex.

You might look into the Sightron "Big Sky"!

Last edited:
I have bought a few burris balistic plex from a few members here. I have no complaints and I am more than happy with them.

Ok, i got the replacement tuesday and got to the range yesturday,(wens). I ordered the 4-12x40ao bdc, thats why the price is at $300 when all is said and done. They did charge me $60 dollars to change to the bdc lense, they did not charge me to upgrade from a 3.5-10x50 to the 4-12x40ao.

It was a sunny and very cold day at the range, i put the scope on my package model 11 .243 savage. I had a bunch of .243's with 75gr vmax and 38.3grs of varget. I got it sighted in at 100yds and after getting the feeling back in my trigger finger, (it WAS cold) i started on the 1/2" 20 dot target that i shoot. To make a long story short, i only got to shoot 12 of the 20, because of people showing up and wanting to set up targets, between that and my trigger finger freezing i was able to drill 7 of the 12. i should have had two others, but couldn't feel the trigger and missed by 3/4".

The scope worked great, but so did the others until they broke. So at this point the replacement is on my favorite yodie gun and will stay there until it breaks.

Hi toothless, i haven't decided what to put on that rifle yet, but i think by changing scopes it will pull the groups in tighter, like i said in the email i sent you, i haven't really had time to even shoot it. I caught h*ll for sneaking off yesturday and checking that scope, gee, imagine that that, me catching h*ll for something, musta been the first time in my life!! blue

Last edited:
Back