308 AI or 30-284 WIN

Not to be a smart [beeep] but why not just shoot the boring 30-06? If you are looking for a long range setup you would be better served with the higher BC bullets in the 6.5 and 7mm flavor.

Short action bro......

I am acutely aware of the deficiencies in the ballistic coefficient of .30 caliber bullets. I am also aware of the outstanding BC's available in .264's and .284's. I know the .30-06 is tried and true. I have a long range gun, and it is not a 308 AI or a 30-284 Win.

What I want to know is if anyone has ballistic information and/or experience to share regarding the cartridges I asked about.

Last edited:
No worries, try the links below.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=405

I really can't find much in the way of data for either. The 308AI will put you right with the 30-06 with slightly less powder. The 30-284 will be a real pain in the butt to make brass for. You will have to use an expander die and regular 284 brass which may be tough to find. Expanding the 6.5-284 brass might be a stretch.

Are you stuck on the 30cal for some reason or just trying something different? I am not trying to give you a hard time, but there are better and easier cartridges you could use that will get the job done.

good morning Cornstalker
While I did own a 30-284 for about 3 weeks(got it in a trade) it was a ultra light built on a Remington 600 action.
I never really got to play with it much before it was sold again.I also have owned 2 .284 Winchesters,one on a Sako short action,the other a short Rem 700.My biggest complaint with all three(and they were built on short actions) was having to seat the bullet so deep that it really affected the usable powder capacity.If I ever built a 3rd one,it would have a standard action and be long throated,thus saving precious powder capacity and being able to use heavier/longer bullets,Vld's to be exact.
But that's just me
R

I guess I feel kind of silly. I have a .284 Win and a 6mm/284, yet I never deduced that a 30/284 would be an '06 in a shorty. Oops.

I could name a ton of cartridges I would rather have than these, just toying with the thought of speeding up a .308 Win I just picked up without rebarreling it. I like the AI idea as it cuts down or eliminates brass trimming.

I appreciate your input ACL! I may just leave it a .308 Win.

Wolf, I hear you. It is dramatically exacerbated by a detachable box mag!

The easiest way to speed up a .308 and to have decent ballistics is to shoot the high b.c. 155 class bullets and a stout load of varget or Rl-15, at least that's what I have seen work well.

Or you could open up the bolt face and go short mag.

Quote:Or you could open up the bolt face and go short mag.

OOOOoooo! I believe I see a 6.5 WSM coming on.......

Or maybe a .25/300 WSM.

wink.gif
Now the gears are turnin

That 25/300WSM sounds way impressive, I read an article about this wildcat but can't remember where? I shoot with a guy who also shoots a 6.5WSM and that puppy scoots, he's getting only 19M.O.A. drop @ 1000yrds from a 100 yard zero, tuning for accuracy was an issue for him though. Can't remember his chrono numbers but they were up there.

Quote:he's getting only 19M.O.A. drop @ 1000yrds from a 100 yard zero

That seems like an upgrade worth the rebarrel.

Thanks for mentioning it!

Just a thought here, a question actually. Is the 300 Winchester Short Magnum a Short Action Cartridge? A shooting buddy here has one, and let me shoot it. I'm now a 300 WSM lover...
grin.gif

See if that delivers the same ballistics at the 308AI and the 30-284. But, there's a WHOLE lot to be said about going with the these two chamberings, all good.. I personally like going into uncharted waters...

Martyn brings up a point about WSM in short actions. You may wanna check to see the C.O.A.L. to see if any of the above cartridges will eject a loaded round w/o needing pulling the bolt on your short action. 6br.com has lots of diagrams of cases and will give you an idea.

It has also been pointed out to me that the action I have is controlled round feed and may have issues with the fat WSM cases.

I have not found any ballistic data for a .308 AI. Anyone know where to find some?

I haven't heard much about the .308A.I. other than in one of the books I own. I believe the article in the book "Precision Shooting at 1000 yards" was written by a guy on this forum sscoyote. You may want to pm him for more info, but I think it was mainly super heavy 220SMKs being used in his article.

Back