lion help?

howler22

So I am pleading for some suggestions. I am located in western Oregon and have some friends with a cougar hanging out, killing some sheep and goats. I have a lot of experience calling dogs but I have not called a cat yet. The property is about 30 acres with open fields and timber squeezed between similar adjoining properties with the same cat problems. I would be greatful if you guys could give me some calling sugestions about sounds to use, set up considerations, best times or any other things I am not thinking of. We cannot use dogs here (liberals voted that out). Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigfish57Can you bait?

No bait or hounds in Oregon.
Well not for Lions or Bears anyway. It is legal to hunt Bobcats with hounds though..
Never have figured that one out???

Charlie

I’m not one for electronic calls but if I were solo I might just pick a good sound and let the E-caller do the work and keep your free. From what I understand the first rule of calling lions is find an active territory. It sounds like you’re already in their kitchen. Some folks recommend a fawn in distress call but I’d just grab a shrill rabbit call and blow it till the cows come home. keep us posted. If you need somebody to do the calling I'll blow my guts out for ya.

Talk to rainshadow, he has a cd that he has made and he has said that he has a newer one out too. He has called in some cats before, and has recorded them too. Heck he might even go out and help you if asked him real nice like, you just never know. Anyway shoot him a PM and go from there.

Good luck,

gonzaga

Thanks for the plug, Zag!

howler22, here's the nutshell: Get near it without it knowing you're there, then call it with the best tools in your box, to a stand where you see it first.

Simple?

No.

But it's lots of fun figuring out how to get it right!

If your friends are losing stock, consider calling Fish and Wildlife and getting commissioned hounds on it. But if the situation doesn't justify it, you CAN get 'em by calling.

Feel free to PM... Love to talk Cougars!

thanks for the advice. I wont be calling fish and game cause I want the cat for me, so trial and error will be in order. I may try the CD though. Thanks

If your calling in cats the waie is a hr. If your allowed electronic calls for bleat.fawn distess ,if there lamb killers use a recording of sheep and there young.turn the call towards you I swear 80% come in behind the call. Expect to call 1 hr before dark or just at sun up. If you can hunt just after a kill and over it ,that will increase your chances also in that situation use a coyote challenge it [beeep] them off and you get a faster response. How this helps.

Weems Wild Call Duo tone-hand call

Lohman MVP-3 set on long range-very coarse sounding call

I called in one with the Brunham Brothers Jack Rabbit which is very coarse sounding

use enough gun, hopefully with no plastic tip bullets

Make long sands

We called in one at a trash dump...go figure

Howler. If the Lion is actively feeding on a kill, then sit on the kill at night. Stay hid and shine a light every now and then (it works).

Also, just before dark you can use coyote howls at the kill site (some times a lion will not tolerate a coyote feeding on its fresh kill).

Find where it is crossing fence and snare it or set trap (dont make set at kill site, might catch neighbors dog or cat).

I sent you a PM

Originally Posted By: howler22thanks for the advice. I wont be calling fish and game cause I want the cat for me, so trial and error will be in order. I may try the CD though. Thanks

I'm going through the same thing in California, we make use of the county trapper though and keep ourselves to where we can legally shoot without getting into any trouble. You get caught shooting one and not reporting it and it's dang near worse than shooting a person in terms of jail time and felony charges.

No point in advertising you intend to shoot one and not report it.

Stay legal, getting caught with any little part of a lion like a claw is a felony. I'd like to eat lion meat, but getting caught with it in your freezer flat is not worth it, lion skin, not worth it.

Your best bet is to recruit the state trapper, once you have done that you can shoot if you get the chance and don't have to worry.

Back