Wipeout and Gas tube

jdp3

I use Wipeout on my Dtech, and i have noticed a greenish blue film around the gas block at the end of the free float tube (i dont know the actual name for it). Anyway, i am guessing i need to clean that gas line when i used wipeout. I have a long pipe cleaner and i hear about guys using brake cleaner.... So what do i need to do, where do i access the gas line to get the pipe cleaner/brake cleaner, what kind of brake cleaner, where do i get it (an auto parts store.... that simple?) How often do i need to clean that out (i assume it cleans itself so probably not that often?)

Any guidance is much appreciated.

i use brake cleaner on my ar to clean the bolt and gas tube just give it a short brust down the gas tube want hurt a thing i also use breakfree clp to lube everthing up

JJones... thanks, so just go to auto parts store and buy a can of brake cleaner? Anything special? Never really looked in there real close..... found the gas tube.

Last edited:
Don't clean the Gas Tube!!!! its self cleaning, 20,000 PSI every time you fire a round through it, cleans itself. I've gotten a handful of repairs over the years with cotton swabs or pipe cleaners stuck in the gas tube that clogged the gas port.

Originally Posted By: scottmilk9Don't clean the Gas Tube!!!! its self cleaning, 20,000 PSI every time you fire a round through it, cleans itself. I've gotten a handful of repairs over the years with cotton swabs or pipe cleaners stuck in the gas tube that clogged the gas port.
+1 on that. I have a gas tube that has been through 2 barrels and never been cleaned. It still works just fine.

Jack

Quote: just make sure that the brake cleaner is non chlorinated
Yep, that's what's recommended, and it will say it on the can. I flush with brake cleaner from the chamber down the bore, then a short shot into the gas tube where it mates with the bolt carrier, then I use the Wipe-Out foam afterwards. Don't worry about a pipe cleaner, the tube will stay clean from the high-pressure gas. I just flush it to get the crud back out I might have washed in there while flushing the chamber.

Thanks guys... Evil Lurker - if i were to use brake cleaner, does it not make sense to shoot the brake cleaner down the gas tube after the wipe out foam has possibly crawled up in there? Not questioning your methods just asking why before and not after....

Sure, you could do it last. The brake cleaner flashes away and doesn't leave anything behind.
I just do it before because I already have it in my hand.
grin.gif

Back