Coon Calling

We do the hunting in the daytime as is the only legal way. Lots easier to find den trees and watch trees in the area up to 50-70 yrds for activity in the daylight. Night time is for the dogs and I don't do that anymore. Jim

Yeah I usually do mine mostly in the late evenings, but most of the time I usually just trap...Wish Iowa would change the laws here for people that dont run dogs. But its Iowa and we have alot of weird laws....

I have hunted with Steve from Minaska and actually I am in the Crumbling Coons video. I have yet to try calling Coons at nite.I have got some in while calling Bobcats at nite while using bird sounds.When I really want to call coons I go during the day any time during the day.The first time I tryed calling them I put the call behind a large hollow Cottonwood tree and sat back 15 yards hit the sound and all [beeep] broke loose. I had 2 bail out of the top at 50 feet and 6 come down the tree looking for what the heck was hurtin their young one. I went down the creek and set up the same 200 yards and called in 2 more. 10 Coons in 10 minutes! I was hooked!!! It doesn't always happen that way but you get a lot more action than you would calling other predators.I haven't quit calling the other predators but sure know where to get an adrenlin fix when I need one!You can't call what ain't there, and there will be times when you come up empty for a while but I usually always come home with some coons and sometimes a lot.Steve was telling me that they called in either 31 or 41 coons at one sitting on a siliage pile last fall. Good Luck to ya and I hope you have as much fun at Coon calling as I have had!!

I live in Southeast Louisiana and have been calling coons for many years. I have an old Faulk's squaller that I began with and killed a truck load of coon's behind it. I've also used a Lohman and Primos squaller with good effect. I just picked up one of the Zepp's aluminum squallers and it sounds REALLY good and REALLY loud! Hope to get a chance to use it as soon as possible. We have a deer lease in Central Alabama and I've shot several calling there as well. A .17 HMR and .22 Magnum are really good coon medicine after the calling get's em' worked up:)

Back