.44 mag Contender

Bearcat 74

I have an 8" barrel for my Contender in .44 magnum and I am curious about crimp. I crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp for my 629, but should I crimp for the Contender? I am shooting 240gr XTP's and 300gr Sierra's over 2400 powder.

Anybody got any good loads for the .44 in Contender?

Thanks

You are probably shooting the best 44 magnum powder there is. However IMO to get good burn out of 2400 a heavy crimp is definitely necessary. Tom.

A good heavy roll crimp into a crimping groove or cannelure is best for consistent velocity and accuracy, no matter if it's a revolver, contender, or carbine. You could get erratic ignition or incomplete burning of some powders. There should also be a fair amount of bullet tension in addition to the crimp.

Today I loaded up some rounds with the 240XTP and 22.0grs of 2400. Recoil from the 8" contender, LOL, WHEW!!! Brisk I guess is a good description. I changed my grip because my left index finger is bleeding, I changed to what I think is called a teacup grip? Frim RH grip and the left hand just cups under and the right rests on the palm. Anyway, my last 3 rounds went into a .75" group at 30yds with open sights. I am going to load up a few more and see if it is consistent.

Mixed brass
240XTP
22.0grs Alliant 2400
Rem 2.5 Primer
1.600 OAL
Lee FCD 1/2 turn crimp

T/C Contender 8" .44 Mag

I was thinking "no crimp" too but I think SodakJim is right a good crimp will help with ignition. Not that you'll get bad or erratic ignition without it, but that you'll just get better ignition with it.

Instead of 240gr slug, try shooting a 325gr gas checked slug if you want a handfull out of a 44mag.

I have handloaded for the .44 Magnum for over 30 years, for both handgun and rifle. My practice is to always crimp the desired bullet...always. You will find more uniformity in your loads and this will show in your chronograph work.

#2400 is a very good powder for the .44 Magnum, but understand the burn rate is "faster" with current lots than it was when Elmer Keith was using 22 gr. under a Lyman 250 Keith SWC:)

An accurate load in many of my personal handguns and rifles has been using 21 grs. of #2400 with a 240 gr. JHP/JSP. My 14 and 11 year old boys have killed several whitetail and feral hogs using this combination out of their pre-safety Marlin leverguns.

I've killed a bunch of critters with a .44 Magnum over the years with both a handgun and rifle/carbine. It's a "MEAT HAMMER":)

Although hard to come by anymore, WC680 is a good surplus powder for the .44 Magnum. As has been stated, H-110 and WW296 (basically same powder) work well, as does Accurate Arms #9

Good luck to ya'

I use a 14" .44 Mag Contender and I always used 2400 until last year, I tried some Lil' Gun and I've got to say it's my go to powder now, I gained velocity and I have a more accurate load now. I load my 240 XTP's with 25 grains of Lil' Gun but I've worked this load up for my chamber start low and work your way up, this is very close to the max. with that powder. My loads chrono at 1750 +/- using this load in a 14" barrel

Back