Vexing problem with my CZ .223 and assignable cause. Range Report Added.

Originally Posted By: ACLakeyVery good information, thanks for the time to put it together.

You mentioned you bedded the Savage, did it have a plastic stock and if so how did the bedding process go?

It was a Savage Model 10GXP package rifle with a wood stock. It was the first one I ever did a bedding job on. I picked it because it was the most expendable stock. The bedding job was probably more straight forward than I made it because I'd never done one before.

I took the trigger assemblly off the receiver (remove one pin but do it in a plastic freezer bag so the spring won't get lost if it decides to head for parts unknown) and filled the bottom of the action with modeling clay and the recess where the trigger and safety go with modeling clay. I also put some paper topped with modeling clay in the magazine well so it would be easy to clean it up after the epoxy cured. I also filled the trigger void in the stock with modeling clay. I'd probably do it this way again, but instead of reusing the factory pillars I'd make it new ones. In fact this winter I may stick the stock in the mill, carve out the bedding material and re-do it with new pillars. I used the factory pillars because I didn't know any better at the time. My experience with this one is what had me making new pillars for the CZs where they already had one, and adding pillars where they didn't.

Getting the magazine box out of there is a bit of a trick because of the tab that holds it.

It isn't the prettiest bedding job on the planet by a long ways, but it seems to be functional. I do think I can do better than I did on that first one.

Fitch

Back