what kind of fur damage 25-06???????

Depends on the bullet used, and what you hit going through.

Seriously though, is there really all that much difference between a baseball vs a softball sized exit?

If you want a nice fur, use somethng more fur friendly.

Daryl

I would guess that the only way to limit .... not eliminate .... but only limit fur damage with the perennial 25-06 is to use controlled expansion big game bullets as FMJ's don't seem to exist.

My .243's do enough to convince me of this even though I don't do the 25's right now.

But on the other hand, I stoked the biggest Alpha male in my life the other day .......

........ used a top end load pushing the Hornady 55 gr. SX and accidently flank shot him @200 ....... he ran full tilt for 80 yds ...... then cartwheeled from full speed .....

....... quite a show!

But the moral of the story ..... with little cross section and no bones, that slug never exited .......

Three 44s

I have one posted on here a few pages back. Someone was looking for Tikka pictures. The coyote in that picture was shot at 50 yards with a 25-06. The entrance was only about the size of a pencil and the exit(which you can't see) was right around a 50 cent piece. Not bad!

That said, if you use a 25-06 you'll throw out more hides then you keep.

use 75 grn v-maxes and push them hard. Not very often you get a exit with a head on shot or even a lung shot.Avoid hitting a shoulder on bullet entrance and if you shallow rake them from any angle the sky will be full of hair.Pick your shots and they work well

Most bullets shot outa 25-06 are going to give you large holes either way in the form of exits or entrance.

I've used them all from 75g vmax-125g wildcats. It dont matter, the smallest holes are easily 2 golfballs, and a good one will be a pieplate.

I got some pics taken with 100g nbt's at 3400fps, but I think this place would frown upon them.

Your 75's are still gonna pretty much explode on impact resulting in a big splash wound, your 85-100g bullets just give ridiculously big holes, the 115-125g bullets give about 2-3" holes still.

If you want to limit bullet expansion and try to use it for fur, I'd pick a heavier 115-120g bullet and load it down 200-300fps. It will still leave 1" holes I bet [beeep].

What wolfhunter said.
Have not had one exit with the 75 v max bullets.
Hits them like a lighting bolt.
Big mess inside when you un zip them!

I've only shot one with a 25-06 which isn't enough to make any kind of decision on. The coyote was about 300 yards and I had a 117 grain Hornady bullet. The exit was somewhere between a baseball and softball but he was DRT. It sure wouldn't be my go to coyote rifle if I wanted to save the fur. I have wished I had the 25-06 a few times when I've had them hang up at 400+ though. At that point, I get aggravated enough that I would just kill them and take my chance on the fur.

I love the 25/06 on yotes because it will anchor them with extreme holes, way out there...I love big holes.

I shot one running straight away from me right in the butt, it blew his spine out of the top of the hide, blew his shoulder blades apart, and took off the front of his skull(both eye sockets) as the bullet passed the entire lenth of the body...he was smok'en!

Bullet was a Sierra 90g BTHP at 3300 fps, 53.0g of IMR 4350, not a mashemeflatmagnum load, but gets the job done.

Last edited:
Back in the late 70's through the 80's I shot my 25-06 for Coyotes. This was when Coyote prices averaged $55 to $80 a pelt. I shot an 87Gr ball and depending on where I hit I would get a through and through or a hole you could put your house in.
I started Coyote hunting again 4 years ago and the last Coyote I shot with my 25-06 you could put the House in. I switched to a 223 and depending on shot placement get the same results (Little holes to Big holes).

The nice thing about the 25-06 is that you will be able to reach what you can see with it at Terminal Velocity.

I've got a Sako heavy barreled action in 25-06 that needs a stock and a scope. It will strictly be a coyote killer when it's finished. I ain't anticapating "fur friendly" at all. Just want to put them down where they stand on competion hunts. Grizz

This is really getting interesting,2 of us have had really good luck with the v-maxes but mostly the rest of the reports say big holes with everything.Why the differance?????Mrgunslinger what part of the country are you from???The reason I ask is to get a idea what your coyotes are like,as far as size and fur type are
Is it possible that me being from the "north" have larger denser furred specimens that will withstand the extra explosiveness that the 75 grn vmax will produce?????

I don't think 25-06 Rem. and "Fur Friendly" even belong
in the same sentence.

I wanted to test some 25-06 Rem. 85 gr. NBT hand loads for
accuracy, and had a winter rabbit chewing my orchard trees
problem. So out of the dining room window, I had a great view
of a brush pile that was housing said rabbits. The rabbits
were exploding on impact. It gave red mist new meaning. I
had been leaving the rabbit parts laying in the snow, which
seemed to attract a feral cat, that I also had been gunning
for. So one late afternoon session waiting at the window
for any surviving rabbits to peak out of the brush pile,
I saw a flash of something out of the corner of my eye,
and focused on that feral cat sneaking towards the brush
pile. I quietly started cranking open the window, when
the cat spooked. It ran out to about 80 yards, stopped,
and looked back at me...Poor kitty took a 85 gr. NBT in
the middle of the back, which cut poor kitty in two. Again
new meaning to red mist. The next night, a pack of coyotes
wandered by, and cleaned up the whole mess. I didn't
see them, as they visited late, under cover of a new moon,
but I am sure this load would have made BIG holes. I don't
save fur, but the 25-06 Rem. would run that notion right
out of my head, if I did. Oh, and that load turned out
to be exceptionally accurate in this Tikka M695.
grin.gif

Squeeze

Back