44 mag range?

With my Ruger super red hawk I would be comfortable at 100 yards but it would be effective at farther distances if you are comfortable with it. My 44 mag has a pretty good group over 100 yards but targets don't move or make my heart beat so fast. I just don’t want to take a chance on wounding any deer.

Range is entirely dependant on your abliity to hit the target. It is a lot harder hitting with a handgun than a rifle. A .44 on a coyote would be effective at 300 yards, if you could hit it. On a deer, I would guess the effective range to be 150 yards, if you could hit the vitals. My personal limit is 100 yards as I haven't practiced enough with it to get better.

Fast Ed

You have been given some very good advice in the responses submitted. I've killed many whitetail with a .44 Magnum handgun/rifle/carbine. I'm comfortable with extending the range some given my proficiency with both, but I have put in my time in practice and rounds down range. Handgun hunting is quite exciting, but I still enjoy looking through the crosshairs of a scoped rifle/carbine. My longest shot on a whitetail with a .44 Magnum handgun has been 125 yards or so. My longest with a .44 Magnum rifle/carbine has been close to 200 yards. All were killed with handloaded ammunition and with firearms known very well. In my 46 years I've killed over 40 deer with a .44 Magnum and untold number of feral and Russian hogs and have never lost an animal. I'm very fond of the .44 Magnum and have used it faithfully since age 13 when my dad gave me my first S&W Model 29:)

I would agree with most on about 125-150 but it takes practice and a good rest. I shot a flattop a year ago at 89yds and thought I missed until I saw her laydown within 10ft of where I shot her. But then again I missed one at 35yds last year. Didn't have a good rest and the wind was blowing about 40mph. It takes practice.

well.............a gentleman named elmer keith knocked down a wounded muley at around 600 yards...iron sights....if you haven't heard of him, read "[beeep],I Was There"....good read of a fascinating life...[beeep] like in [beeep]-o....grrrrr...i really dislike this politically correct s/w....[beeep] like in jell except with an "h".....[beeep]...(i know i can say [beeep] cause it will a bleep)...grin

Last edited:
Revolver or Rifle??

For a good quality, and accurate revolver, I would say 75 to 150 yards. Limited by the ability of the actual revolver(and shooter).

In a rifle?? Again the 44 is only limited by the firearm itself, and the shooter. 200-250 is no problen for the cartridge if it is being shot by a rifleman who knows what he is doing. Even farther in the hands of a real expert with a good heavy casy bullet, it makes a big hole. Tom.

Of course we've all heard of Elmer, or at least anyone who shoots Revolvers has. His style of bullet is legendary ! He was an exceptional marksman thats for sure. But to say a consistant "hit" past the 150 or 200 yd mark for the average joe is typical would be a something that would not be all that common.

Now, chapped lips, I'm not saying you said anything that's not correct, I'm just making sure a young guy that's new to shooting don't get the wrong idea
smile.gif

no problemo here...i'm guilty of not wording that response properly...but at the same time maybe some of the new crowd will get curious & read his book...a life that a lot of us would like to have lived...adios

Well guys I will let you know in two weeks. I have limited myself to 125yrds but I will be shooting Elk with my Redhawk.

I have a couple of the old Ruger .44mag carbines, have had good luck with the Hornady Leverevolution rounds in them. Its basically a 225 grain SST bullet, was very happy with it in my old guns at 100 yds. Haven't had a chance yet to try it further.

Chuck

Last edited:
Back