? about daughter using an ar

kunas

I want to get everybodies input on letting my daughter use my 6.8spc ar
16in pipe and so on, i would load 1 shell at a time proper ear protection 16" pipe barks alittle when it goes off, im thinking this do to the fact that is has very little recoil and it is legal for deer hunting, i would put a 6 postions stock to make up for her LOP and a red dot scope on it for her. She is a small framed 10 year old some of the guys are i think frowning on me for entertaining this. To me this is no differnt than any other rifle i own firearms safety is firearms safety. i could see loading up a 30 round mag and telling her to let it eat thanks Ron

The 16" barrel on a .223 AR barks pretty good. The reason is that the .223 was designed to shoot out of a longer barrel. When the bullet leaves the end of a 16" barrel on a .223 barreled AR, the pressure is still quite high, THAT's what makes it loud.

The 6.8 was developed around a 14.5" barrel. Where you should of course wear hearing protection, the muzzle-blast from a 16" 6.8 is not going to be quite as bad as the 16" .223.

I say "go for it"

I'm with Mike. Go for it. As long as the gun fits her well it shouldn't be a problem. I guided my little sister (12yrs old) to her first deer this fall. I cut down a takeoff plastic stock for my 45cal Savage 10MLII. The six position stock would be a lot slicker (no duct tape).
laugh.gif
Also, the shorter barrel would be great. My ML has a 27" barrel which is really too big for her, but she was able to shoot from a ground blind off a tripod.

I've got a friend at work with a couple of 10-12 year old daughters. He takes them to the range off and on. Said one day his buddy showed up with an AR. His daughters really enjoyed hammering away with it. So watch out...before long she may be dipping into your ammo stash to top off some 30 rounders.
wink.gif

CIMG0672.JPG

*GASP* exposing an innocent little girl to that evil black rifle! you should be ashamed!!

LOL

I dont see a problem as long as she knows what she is dealing with, and is comfortable handling it. Also, as you said, protect her as is necessary. maybe get her a small 3rnd mag to use. My lil sister has been shooting my guns since she was about 10 and has never had a problem with any since.

I think the AR is perfect for kids, I bought a Rock River lower with a collapsible stock just so my girls 11 and 10 year old can shoot my Remington R-15! Hardly any recoil, and they can pop water filled milk jugs out to 150 yards with a bipod on! Now I need to get a coyote in front of them this year, thats my goal!

I agree, go for it. It should fit her as well as most any other rifle, with less recoil and the red dot mounted right should eliminate the chance of getting scope bit. I would vote for the single round though, at least for a year or two. I've seen guys used to a pump gun accidentally rattle two or more off on their first attempt with an auto, and those were experienced hunters. Get her hunting with the single shot for a year or two, practice at the range working up to a couple, 3, 5 shots. Remember that the range and hunting is much different and the stress isn't there when paper is in front of you! 2 years with 1 shot isn't a bad thing.... it will teach her even more good things, like make one shot count. Good luck to you and your daughter, and we'd all like to see some pics after what I'm sure will be a successful hunt!

Originally Posted By: ozzyWay to go all! .22 to .45-70, just get them kids involved. Oh, bows are cool also.
smile.gif

She has a pse bow that she is now shooting, wont be ready for awhile on it, thanks for the input i felt that there should be no issues with the 6.8 ar just wanting everyones opionion as well thanks Ron

No I agree-it should be great for her. My 9 yo son wants to use the AR this year. He killed his first last year with a TC G2 in .223. So I will let him use the AR with the collapsible stock for proper length of pull this year. It has a .223 DPMS Sportical upper with a Levang compensator but a 6.8 would be even better. TnTnTn

I am a certified firearms instructor, teaching in a
state "Hunter's Safety" program. A couple of classes
back, I brought my 6.8 SPC(heavily tricked out), to
show a few interested students, before class one evening.
A couple wanted to shoot it, and one was a tiny 12 year old
boy. He shot it, had a huge grin on his face, and begged
for more ammo.
grin.gif

I would say let her give it a shot, but make sure safety
glasses, and hearing protection are used.

Squeeze

safety is always first i want her to enjoy shooting and hunting while being safe, she will remind me at the range now when we shoot her little cricket 22 about my earplugs she will say dad your forgeting something, that is what i used to say to her when she first started shooting Ron

took her out this evening and she shot the ar for the first time, she was scared at first until she pulled the trigger and then she kept wanting to shoot it, she put several shots inside each other of course she had a few flyers as well over all she was shooting it very well, 75yards average 3in group not bad at all with a red dot scope on it i will post pics when she shoots her first deer with it she has been watching a nice 8 point with me in the eves and claims that it is hers time will tell Ron

I let my 8 year old use my ar15 6.8 SPC with 16 inch barrel since he was 6. He has killed a ram. and a red stag. I give him the 5 round mag and he knows only to shoot when I tell him. It will be no problem for your daughter.

Back