100gr or 125?

i have a 125gr.

8759.jpg

125gr

i have used this one for rabbit and squirrels and that sort of stuff, and plan to use one like this one for my deer.i just like the size of the broadhead and it is not to heave for my small bow and good for smaller animals.but for a bigger animal i will probably get a bigger one when i get a bigger bow.

Last edited:
You need to be about 10-15% weight forward this will determine how heavy of a broadhead/fieldpoint you need.

I'm using 400gr total weight arrows @60# 100gr head and 500gr total weight arrow @70# 125gr head.

I am set up just like Gary, I shoot 65LBS. Have asked a alot questions at cabela's and gander moutian, everyone says I have a great set up. i knock 'em down every year. I shoot Epic's slimline and Montec's, 100Gr.

I shoot 100 fixed or mechanical with a compound and 125 or bigger fixed ONLY with traditional bows. Without all the speed of a compound you need weight to help penetrate big animals. Heck most of the time you won't penetrate all the way through with traditional unless you are pretty close, but the broadheads for traditional are super mean for cutting surface and still leave awesome wound channels.

Joel

Last edited:
I started out with 125's about 20yrs ago and still shoot them. My dad started out with 125's and now shoots 100. Brother started out with 125's and now shoots 100's. If you can go to a good shop they might have some different broadheads that you could try to see how they group before you buy them. I like the 125's because of there grouping. I don't have to resight the bow in when I switch from field points to broadheads. Both my brother and my dad both have to move there sights left or right about 3-6". Don't know why but they have to. I'm shooting dad's 2yr old hunting bow. Didn't do anything to it when I got it but sight it in and I don't have to move my sight but he did and does.

If broadheads and field points don't strike at the some point of aim, there is a tuning issue some where in the set up. Might simply be that the broadheads aren't spinning true. Could be too weak of spine, or too stiff, on the arrows. Could be the shooter putting torque on the bow when gripping to shoot. Could be center shot off on the rest.
Several reason why a fixed blade broadhead won't impact where a field point does.
But as was mentioned above, the weight of the broadhead should be determined by figuring out 10%-12% forward weight of the arrow. In general, heavier arrows need a heavier broadhead, and visa-versa for lighter arrows.
Houndmen28, for rabbit and squirrel, you should look into the small game heads such as the judo points, or the small game heads made by Montec. Both of them will kill small game but also will often make finding your arrows easier because those heads tend to snag on weeds, dirt, limbs etc. and keeps the arrows from burrowing under stuff and dissappearing.
For the record, I use 100 gr. Magnus Snuffer SS for all my big game. Use the Magnus Bullheads for turkey.

Last edited:
Back