peat moss or buckwheat hulls

I don't know about the buckwheat hulls, but last year I use peat moss in my dirt hole sets. Worked good. We have a lot of freeze/thaw weather and the peat moss worked.

both will work, if you use either, put a thin layer of dirt over it to:

1, make it look natural
2 keep it from blowing away in the wind, buckwheat hulls will blow away faster then peat.
3, its more natural for a K9 or coon to step on dirt then peat or hulls.

I use peat all the time, I dig my bed, put in a handful of peat and make sure there is peat in all the spaces that the trap will touch the ground, then put in the trap, you can pack peat in around the trap. it will take time but can be done, or you could use a pan cover and not worry about it. make sure the trap is solid in the bed. if not usin a screen cover, make sure there is peat all around the trap inside and out. and then cover with a 1/4 or less of dirt and blend in. if the dirt on top of the trap freezes it will still give way to the weight of the critter when he steps on the pan with the peat under it. good luck and post lots of pics.

I would rather use peat myself,Have never had much luck with Buckwheat hulls.Waxed dirt works very well. It's expensive and kind of a pain to make.But the bottom line is whatever you use it has to be dry!All of this stuff if left out will draw moisture.And it will freeze!Your weather is alot like mine I think.It can rain every night for a few days then freeze.If the trap bed is wet it must be redone to keep it working.All that you hear and read about is an attemt at trying to keep things working.Try them all to see what you like.Or what you have success with.But the thing to remember is it must be dry.

i use peat moss with a fine layer of dirt over top of it to blend it in,, but i did( intill i ran out) use buckwheat hulls mixed with peat moss but it doesnt matter if it rains and gets cold enuff they traps will still frezze down , but with peat moss it doesnt do it as bad

Take your stake and make a pilot hole in the trap bed . This will give the water a place to go so it wont float your hulls or peat up to quick . Andy Stoe show this year a go in a demo

I collect dry dirt in boiled out pails and use trap anti freeze. A person can still get the dirt under concrete bridges even this time of yr. Use crumpled up wax paper and your home free.

Good luck with your season.

Back