Woohoo 1st Coyote

flynpa

I hope this is not a double post. After typing the set thing once, I hit a button and it disappeared so I will try again.

My daughter Emily (9) and I finally got a chance to try coyote hunting. I was worried that my paint job had affected my rifle (Rem 710 in .243)so we stopped at the range. A quick 3 shot group confirmed that the rifle was still shooting 2" high of center at 100yrds.

I checked the wind and studied the aerial photos. The ranch is very thick but I found a clearing and entry route that would keep our scent away from the target area. We parked a bit away and started walking. Holy cow, I have got to come up with a system for carrying all this stuff. Rifle, chairs, backpack with e-caller and decoy, shooting sticks, tripod and video camera. Well except I forgot the shooting sticks at the truck and didn't realize it until we were at the set.

I parked Emily against some brush and went to put out the caller (Johnney Stewart) and decoy (Expedite Quiver Critter). I put them on the upwind side of the clearing. I was hoping to see the coyote in the clearing as he tried to wind the call and decoy. I also set up the video camera and just pointed it toward the clearing. I was not gonna try to move it during the set, I figured I should just take whatever I get since it was our first time out.

We started with cottontail distress. Four minutes into the set a coyote entered the clearing directly across from us at about 60 yards. I figured he would go downwind but he started up wind. I guess he didn't go downwind because he would have to cross the clearing to get to the prey. Anyway he moved upwind and was almost to a spot where I would lose sight of him so I shot. He went straight down. My daughter said "Dad, you are shaking" and boy was I. What a rush and to top it off I was worried about missing since I was shooting without any supports. We called for about 3 more minutes then gave up hoping to make another set but ran out of time. I will try to post a snippit of the video. If you full screen it you will see the yote enter just right of the gas well and move to the right. I shoot him just before he exits the picture. It then goes into the trophy shot. Cheeeeezzzzyyy but I didn't take any pictures so this is all I got.

This was so much fun. Emily can't stop talking about it and now Hannah (6) insists on going. Maybe this weekend.

Later,

Stuart (flynpa)

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Super-congratulations. It is an adrenalin filled addictive high isn't it? I am still a neophyte too but have called and killed several and missed several too-but still learning.

Great story, video, and pix. You need to get your daughter behind a .223 and let her in on the fun. TnTnTn

congratulations the smile on your little girl is worth more than all the money in the world,guard it fiercely.

Now that was a cool post! Congratulations to the both of you. Heck, I got excited for you watching the video, I can only imagine what it must of been like to actually be there.

Back