Will wolves come to calls in Wisconsin?

Adam Anthony

Wondering if anyone has called in wolves while coyote hunting in Wisconsin.
I hear rumors of wolves around central Wisconsin and wondering how to avoid calling them in.

Thanks,
Adam

They come to the call in Minnesota! I had 3 coming at me last winter from straight upwind. They didn't bother to try to get downwind from me. I finally stood up and yelled at them to turn them away. Far more exciting then a coyote coming at you!

Make sure you identify what you are going to shoot at!

Hey Anthony,

Nice to see another WI hunter on the board. What part of Wisconsin are you in? I'm up in the Eau Claire area, and the yote hunting is pretty good here.

Yes, there are plenty of wolves around, but you can reduce your chances of calling one in by using smaller game distress calls, that sort of thing. The bigger the meal, the bigger the animal that is likely to show up - as evidenced by the couple of times I've had bears show up for the fawn in distress show.

I wouldn't worry about it too much...

I live outside of Milwaukee, but spend a lot of time in central WI at my in-laws cabin.
This year will be my first year doing coyote hunting, thought I would ask how common wolves are.
Thanks,
Adam

Hey Adam, I have a cabin and land in central Wisconsin. I am between Wausau and Merrill. I coyote hunt in the winter and we have had a couple of wolves so the neighbors said last year but the closest they have come is ablut a mile away. I would welcome wolves to my land, as then the coyotes would deplete. I wouldn't worry about them as your the one with the weapon. Besides I'd worry more about cougar's than wolves period. I think I'd have more of a chance meeting a bear and cub than wolves. Coyotes are really neat when you call them within 50 yards.

I'm not scared of being attacked, that would be a great story! I'm worried that not having a lot of experience with coyotes that I would shot one from 400 yards and that it would be a wolf! My in-law's cabin has a 80 arce field across the road that is a great place to shot! In "theory" there are 400 to 600 yard shots.
I wish I could see a bear! I have a kill tag and bears hitting my bait, but no action when I've been there!!
Thanks,
Adam

I call Central Wisconsin also. I've yet to see a wolf or bear while calling. Up north I've had wolves howling though. When they light up a hundred yards away it makes the hair on your neck stand up!
I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that had a trail camera on on a coyote den this spring. He said the coyotes were bringing in 3 fawns a day for a while. I now have a new place to hunt this winter.

Adam

Wyoming yes...
laugh.gif

haven't called there (Wis.) yet.

Well I've called them in in both Upper Michigan and Minnesota so YES they will come when called. Last one I called in came into adult deer distress on the fox pro.

Back