44 mag super redhawk or blackhawk hunter?

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

44 mag super redhawk or blackhawk hunter. Any of you guy have one of these and how do you like it? I want to try to deer hunt with a handgun and just wondering which one would be better. I have held both and like the feel of both so I just need to decide which one.

Just my opinion...

Since 99.997% of folks shooting 44 magnums shoot them single action, I'd say go with the Blackhawk revolver.

Some folks like the SA let-off of the Redhawk, and that's understandable, of course...

You won't be using double action in the hunting field, I wouldn't think (unless you are being attacked by a bear)... but even in that case, you'll probably end up thumbing the hammer because that's what you're most used to doing.

I also went with the Blackhawk simply because it's a better looking gun (in my opinion)... :)

With either Ruger, you're making a great choice. About the only mistake you could make when purchasing a 44 magnum would be buying the far more fragile and much higher priced Smith & Wesson M29 over the Ruger. Bad juju.
sick.gif

Dan

I've had a Redhawk since about the time they started makin em. It was a gift from a dear friend of mine who has since passed on. Shot many deer with it & like it very much.
I always wanted a Super Blackhawk for the reasons Dan has mentioned but am keeping the Redhawk for other reasons.
Have never shot it double action at a target or game.
Did I mention its a genuine deer killer? I also have a 96/44 carbine. What an outfit they are together.

Dan are you trying to pick a fight with us 629 owners ?
I'm next door neighbors to John Linebaugh, I hope you guys know who he is. Anyway, I take crap on a daily basis ! LOL !
Thats why I'm a proud owner of a Ruger also. I tell John it's a great back-up gun that I never have to use LOL....

Check out the Bisley grip frame on the Blackhawk's - some really like them for the lower perceived recoil with stout loads. If I was to do it over, I'd get the new BH Hunter Bisley, and a Redhawk with the new 4" bbl....and a Vaquero to round it out - maybe one each - Bisley and not! But I do like my Ruger's!

I had the same decision to make and I went with the 7.5" barreled Super Redhawk and have not looked back. I love that gun and it shoots great too... You will not be disappointed either.. Get the Redhawk

I have a 7.5 redhawk and my dad's 7.5 Bisley.

The bisley frame is definitley nicer to shoot than a standard blackhawk so go bisley if you have a choice.

Having said that, the trigger guard on the bisley sometimes hits my fingers when shooting so I like the RH better.

I have had my Ruger Super Red hawk with a 9 ½ inch barrel for 16 years and it’s my favorite deer gun. I would like to have a Blackhawk but I liked the Super Red hawk better, that is just my opinion. You should hold and shoot both of them if possible and make your decision on the one you like best. They are both excellent hand guns and you can’t go wrong with either one.

I have the 7.5" Redhawk and the 9.5" Super Redhawk. I have the Super scoped and the regular with open sights. The Redhawks will be heavier. This is a two edged sword. Harder to lug around, but more stable when shooting. Yes, most precision shooting is done single action, but follow-ups will be faster with a double.

Fast Ed

I curently have Redhawks, Bisleys and Blackhawks in 44mag and have owned Super Redhawks and Super Blackhawks
If you reload your own I would look at the Redhawk or Super Redhawk.
With its longer cylinder you can seat the heavy bullets out farther. Or load the Hornady 265gr FTX witch would stick out of the cylinder on a Super Blackhawk or Bisley. IMO the Bisley or Redhawk gripframe feels the best shooting 300gr and up bullets.
If you want to get some real horsepower out of the 44mag try the heavy bullets.

44mag on left 445supermag on the right loaded with 265gr FTX
44ftx002.jpg

I have 2 Redhawks a 5.5 and a 7.5. I also have a SBH that I converted to a 4.5 barrel. I use a RedDot on the 7.5 and carry the 5.5 as a side arm when hunting. I use 240 hard cast bullets, and I am hunting white tails with a normal range of 60 yds. The SBH is used as a carry gun when varmint hunting, loaded with 210g sthp in a stout 44sp load. This works well for me. I use the carry guns in a cross draw in a "Doc Holiday" holster by DeSantis which makes it easy to get in and out of the truck.
Jim

It's a small world! I've known John for many years, as well as his son Dustin. I own several of John's custom Rugers and Dustin made the custom grips for them as well. I even own a custom Ruger Bisley in .38-40 that Dustin built a few years ago and he has a Bisley Vaquero of mine in .500 Linebaugh that he's working on. The last time I was in Cody was in 2000 when John had his first Big Bore Handgun Seminar. Yep...small world:)

Back